Electronic Resources Data Management Assistant
The University of Chicago Library
Requisition Number: 094826
Title: Library Assistant II/Electronic Resources Data Management Assistant
Division: Collection Services
Department: Electronic Resources Management
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm, 37.5hrs/wk.
Reports to: Electronics Resources Supervisor
This position is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Under the supervision of the Electronic Resources Manager, and following departmental guidelines and procedures, performs a range of routine and complex library processes related to data loading and data management within library systems. In consultation with the supervisor, other members of the Department, and the Head of Data Management Services, the Assistant is responsible for the loading and maintenance of sets of records for electronic resources, and updating records in the catalog, both in batch and individually as needed. Shares responsibility with the Data Management Assistant for the timely and accurate processing of acquisitions data from multiple vendor sources, including orders, invoices, and other transaction data; performs the Data Management Assistant's duties in the Assistant's absence. Creates and maintains documentation of procedures and statuses of record loads. Assists the department in management of GOKb data and in special projects needed.
40% Manages electronic resource metadata in batch, including:
- the downloading of metadata from local server or vendor FTP site;
- preprocessing files to meet departmental and national standards using batch editing software (e.g., MarcEdit);
- editing library system (e.g., Horizon or Kuali OLE) load parameters as necessary and loading files into library system; and
- reviewing library system load reports and resolves or refers problems.
20% Shares responsibility with the Data Management Assistant for processing order, receipt, and invoice information; retrieves and processes electronic information from vendors for new orders, approval plans, and firm order receipts; and performs daily library system record loads, including:
- downloading files from vendor FTP hosts or via email;
- preprocessing files using locally-created utilities to screen for special conditions, in accordance with departmental standards;
- loading data in library systems and transferring data between library systems, as necessary;
- reviewing preprocessing and load reports;
- resolving problems in consultation with supervisor and the Head of Data Management Services; and
- creating files to supply vendors with local purchase order numbers.
15% Reviews and updates information related to electronic resource metadata, according to established departmental procedure, including:
- reviewing new URLs imported into library systems (e.g., Horizon, Kuali OLE) to determine their appropriateness for the catalog;
- tagging and importing OCLC records as needed;
- updating links and notes related to access to electronic resources; and
- finding and merging duplicate content.
10% Maintains documentation on processes and procedures related to record loads, including:
- recording information regarding record load procedures, the availability of records, and the status of record loads, on departmental website;
- testing new and revised procedures;
- managing files on local server and desktop computer, including archiving where appropriate and removing obsolete/temporary data; and
- recording loads statistics and related information for Data Management Services statistics.
10% Prepares vendor data and loads in the Global Open Knowledge Base (GOKb), using Open Refine and the GOKb extension.
5% Other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must demonstrate the following competencies: manage interpersonal relationships and interact/communicate with clarity, tact and courtesy with patrons, patients, staff, faculty, students and others; communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing; identify priorities; recognize and resolve or refer problems; work effectively with supervision and as a part of a team; use or learn a range of position-related software application
- Related library experience, or an equivalent combination of position-related education and experience required
- Intermediate proficiency with spreadsheet software required
- Working proficiency with word processing and database software required
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, perform time-dependent tasks promptly, sustain close attention to detail over long stretches of time, use initiative and judgment to solve problems, and interpret complex instructions required
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing required
- Demonstrated ability to learn and work with a variety of online resources, including vendor systems and library management systems required
- Ability to work within the dynamic and changing framework of current and future library practices required
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with co-workers and supervisors required
- Ability to deal with changes to procedures and duties required
- Good knowledge of library procedures preferred
- Familiarity with library-specific systems and tools, such as Horizon, knowledge bases, and MarcEdit preferred
- Some knowledge of related data processing procedures and tools for manipulating data, such as Open Refine preferred
- Ability to sit for long periods required
- Ability to use computer and monitor for long periods required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status or status as an individual with disability.
To apply for this position submit your profile and resume and to
Resumes sent via mail, fax or email will not be considered.
Return to Staff Positions