ID & Privileges Office Assistant
The University of Chicago Library
Requisition Number: 093994
Departmental Title: ID & Privileges Assistant
Department: User Services; Library Privileges
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: 11:00 am to 7 pm Monday through Thursday, Saturday 8:45 am to 4:45 pm, other hours as necessary.
This position is represented by the clerical bargaining unit.
Under general direction and following departmental guidelines, performs a broad range of tasks. In Library context, performs duties of Library Assistant and Library Clerk positions. Performs work in accordance with IT Services & Library standards and procedures.
- Prints UChicago Cards for all authorized members of the University community and recognized affiliates. Ensures that correct information is printed and/or encoded on cards. 15%
- 10% Creates Library access and borrowing records in the Library's integrated system and access control system. Creates access cards for qualified users. 10%
- 10% Issues library day passes to eligible visitors and to members of the University community who come to Regenstein without their valid access card. Issues guest wireless network credentials (GNetID) to eligible visitors. 10%
- 10% Assists patrons with resetting CNet ID passwords; provides low-level technical assistance; and/or directs people to the proper place to resolve eligibility or status issues regarding access to University's networked resources. Provides assistance to eligible persons in creating, claiming and managing their CNetID and associated password(s)... 10%
- 10% Analyzes/troubleshoots problems relating to library access and borrowing privileges, the UChicago Card, the Campus Card, and/or CNetID account information with individual customers and/or departmental contacts. 10%
- 10% Prints Campus Cards for users who need access to card services, but are not eligible for a UChicago Card. Ensures that correct information is entered in the Campus Card Interface and printed and/or encoded on cards. 10%
- 10% Collects monies as appropriate for UChicago cards, library privileges, locker rentals, passport photos, transit cards, library fines, etc. Assists in tallying and processing the daily deposits to the Bursar's Office and accounting for any discrepancies in daily receipts. 10%
- 10% Rents locking shelves within the Regenstein to University-affiliated users and assists with the inspection of lockers and faculty studies for uncharged materials. 10%
- 5% Creates International Student ID cards and takes passport photographs. 5%
- 5% Fills in for entry control staff as required, monitoring the entry control gates, and assisting readers as needed as they enter or exit the Regenstein. 5%
- 5% Uses the Registrar's automated system to verify students' enrollment status, look up contact information or place/remove Library restrictions, including access of confidential student information and records covered under FERPA. 5%
- Candidates must demonstrate the following competencies: manage interpersonal relationships and interact/communicate with clarity, tact and courtesy with patrons, staff, faculty, students and others; communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing; identify priorities; recognize and resolve or refer problems; work effectively with supervision and as a part of a team; use or learn a range of position-related software applications; demonstrated ability to use or learn to a range of position related computer applications related to position requirements. These may include standard software packages as well as library systems required; demonstrated ability to read and interpret documentation.
- Previous library experience or an equivalent combination of position-related experience and education required
- Ability to recognize, assess, and troubleshoot or refer customer problems related to their UChicago Cards, Campus Cards, email access, CNet privileges and other position-related problems required
- Significant customer service experience handling public contacts with patience, courtesy, firmness, and diplomacy within a high-traffic, customer service oriented operation required.
- Work experience and proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and database software with an ability to use or learn a range of position-specific applications required.
- Significant experience in cash-handling and balancing a daily cash drawer required
- Previous experience reading, interpreting, and explaining documents and instructions pertaining to enforceable policies and procedures required
- Previous experience enforcing and making exceptions to policies when appropriate required
- Previous experience working with confidential information and records with discretion required
- Attention to detail and the ability to perform multiple tasks accurately and simultaneously required
- Ability to respond quickly to potentially volatile security situations required
- Ability to maintain a regular schedule with willingness to work additional or flexible hours to provide coverage for other employees required
- Reliability, punctuality, and the ability to work independently required
- Ability to work in a busy required.
- Ability to denying access to guests not eligible to use collections required.
- Some light carrying and moving required
- Working knowledge of the University of Chicago strongly preferred
- Ability to sit for 4 hours or more required
- Ability to use computers extensively for 4 hours required
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, submit a profile and resume to https://jobopportunities.uchicago.edu/
Resumes sent via mail, fax or email will not be considered.
Return to Staff Positions