Acquisitions Student Assistant
Division: Collection Services
Department: Technical Services / Monographic Orders
Title: Acquisitions Student Assistant
Schedule (Hrs/Week): 10 Hrs/week (Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm)
Student positions at the Library are only available to students enrolled at the University of Chicago Library
Under the direction of the monographic orders supervisors and closely following departmental guidelines and procedures, performs a range of routine library processes. This student position is responsible for placing basic monographic orders in Millennium and a variety of vendor databases. Additional responsibilities include claiming lapsed orders, processing received orders and other new material, and reporting statistics.
- Search order requests in Horizon, referring possible duplicates to the collection development officers (15%)
- Search OCLC for bibliographic records (15%)
- Place orders by mail, phone, and the Internet: applying a working knowledge of general cataloging rules, create and update records in the acquisitions order database (20%)
- Process material received in the department: create and update bibliographic records in Horizon, barcode and route material according to library guidelines (35%)
- Record maintenance: update vendor status reports, claim outstanding material, and cancel orders as appropriate; may involve corresponding with vendors via phone, fax, or email (5%)
- Miscellaneous: file and store records using standard departmental notation; report all searching, ordering, and processing statistics (5%)
- Participate in seasonal departmental projects such as the library book sale or annual inventory (5%)
- Basic computer literacy and good oral and written communication skills are required.
- Prior library experience & knowledge of library procedures and classifications strongly preferred;
- Reading knowledge of foreign languages preferred;
- Experience searching in various bibliographic databases preferred.
- Must be able to work independently, sustain close attention to detail over long stretches of time, interpret complex instructions, recognize and act in accordance with departmental priorities, and exercise discretion in the execution of all duties.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds required.
- Must be able to sit for long periods,
- Must be able to visually focus on print material for long periods.
Return to Student Jobs Home