Student Assistant, Map Collection
The University of Chicago Library
Division: Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Map Collection
Title: Student Assistant, Map Collection
Schedule (Hrs/Week): Must be able to work during hours when Map Collection is open: Monday-Friday, 12 noon - 5:00 p.m
Student positions are available only to University of Chicago students.
This position is responsible for assisting the Bibliographer and Map Assistant with a number of tasks, including:
- Filing maps
- Searching for cataloging records on OCLC.
- Downloading cataloging records.
- Assisting in creating rough versions of new cataloging records.
- Making map indexes
- Contributing to the Map Collection's map conservation efforts.
- Shifting map drawers.
- Assisting users, referring problems when appropriate to the Map bibliographer or map assistant.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Related work experience preferred.
- Cartographic and Geographic knowledge required
- High Degree of computer literacy required.
- Ability to sustain close attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently to a high standard of quality with appropriate use of supervisory support required.
- Ability to manage the physically awkward task of filing maps, which requires bending down and lifting large heavy objects required.
Return to student job opportunities