Archives & Manuscripts Processing Assistant
The University of Chicago Library
Division: Special Collections Research Center
Section: Archives and Manuscripts
Position: Archives & Manuscripts Project Processing Assistant
Schedule (Hrs/Week): 19.5
Student Positions at the Library are available only to University of Chicago Students.
Under the direction of the Processing Archivist, arranges and describes manuscript and archival collections in accordance with established SCRC and archival guidelines and to support ongoing initiatives.
- Conducts research into the individuals and academic disciplines represented by the collections;
- Composes historical and biographical narratives and collection scope descriptions and compiles systematic lists of box and folder headings.
- Identifies material to be restricted in accordance with University administrative restriction policy, Office of Legal Counsel, and federal laws, including FERPA and HIPAA, and donor gift agreements.
- Identifies damaged or physically vulnerable materials and refers for appropriate preservation treatment;
- Performs physical processing and arrangement of materials;
- Prepares draft finding aids for archival and manuscript collections;
- Identifies duplicate and extraneous material for disposition;
- Ensures proper labeling and barcoding of all containers for both circulation and possible transfer to the Automated Storage and Retrieval facility;
- Performs other projects as assigned, such as creating accession inventories for incoming archival and manuscript collections in accordance with established departmental guidelines, or other collection management activities.
- Graduate student in humanities, social sciences, or related field, required.
- Library experience, preferred.
- Excellent research and writing skills, required.
- Ability to conceptualize and organize large collections in diverse formats, required.
- Ability to balance attention to detail and accuracy with a high level of productivity, required.
- Sensitivity to issues of privacy and confidentiality in dealing with restricted archival and manuscript material, required.
- Care in handling rare and fragile materials, required.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with others, required.
- Ability to lift 40-pound box essential.
- Experience with web browsers and Microsoft Office required.
Return to student job opportunities