The University of Chicago Library
Division: Special Collections Research Center
Department: Archives and Manuscripts
Position Title: Archives & Manuscripts Accessions Assistant
Schedule (Hrs/Week): 15 (The department is open 8:30am-5:00pm Monday-Friday)
Student positions are available to students at the University of Chicago.
Under the direction of the Accessions Specialist, creates accession records for archival and manuscript collections in accordance with established SCRC accessions and collection management guidelines and to support ongoing initiatives.
- Together with the Accessions Specialist, works with donors to facilitate the preparation of collections for transfer, assists in packing and moving collections;
- Creates initial organization of incoming collections and creates preliminary inventories of the contents of the boxes and folders;
- Identifies material to be restricted in accordance with University administrative restriction policy, Office of Legal Counsel, federal laws, and donor gift agreements;
- Identifies damaged or physically vulnerable materials and refers for appropriate preservation treatment;
- Identifies duplicate and extraneous material for disposition;
- Conducts research on individuals and academic disciplines represented by the collections and writes narrative descriptions.
- Rehouses incoming materials and performs initial physical treatment of collections;
- Ensures proper labeling and barcoding of all containers for both circulation and possible transfer to the Automated Storage and Retrieval facility;
- Revises and edits legacy accession inventories as well as labeling and barcoding older materials;
- Performs other projects as assigned, such as collection management activities.
- Graduate student in humanities, social sciences, or related field, required.
- Library experience, preferred.
- Ability to conceptualize and organize large collections in diverse formats, required.
- Ability to balance attention to detail and accuracy with a high level of productivity, required.
- Excellent research and writing skills, required.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with others, required.
- Sensitivity to issues of privacy and confidentiality in dealing with restricted archival and manuscript material, required.
- Care in handling rare and fragile materials, required.
- Ability to move and lift 40-pound boxes for extended periods of time, required.
- Experience with web browsers and Microsoft Office, required.
Return to Student Opportunities