Law in a Networked World: Resource List
This guide covers electronic and print resources related to the topic of "Law in a Networked World". This area of the law involves a wide variety of issues including intellectual property, privacy, and e-commerce, as well as aspects of comparative, international, and foreign law, and the sources listed reflect that breadth of field. Some of these resources are freely available online, while others are only available at the University of Chicago. This list is by no means exhaustive, but should serve as a good starting point for your research.
Below is a list of some recently published books that address issues related to the regulation of the Internet. Several of these are looseleaf publications, which are updated on a regular basis and contain current information on changes in the law. To locate other books on this topic, try searching the library catalog with the subject, "Internet - law and legislation" or use keyword searching for other relevant topics. All call numbers are for the D'Angelo Law Library, except where indicated.
- Balkin Jack (ed.). Cybercrime: Digital Cops in a Networked Environment (New York: NYU Press, 2007), HV6773.2 .C93 2007.
- Carey, Peter. Data Protection: A Practical Guide to UK and EU Law (New York: Oxford University Press, 2004), XXKD1957.C65 C373 2004.
- Collins, Matthew. The Law of Defamation and the Internet (New York: Oxford University Press, 2005), XXKF1266.C65 2005.
- Coteanu, Cristina. Cyber Consumer Law and Unfair Trading Practices (Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2005), XXK3842 .C68 2005.
- Creech, Kenneth. Electronic Media Law and Regulation (Boston: Focal Press, 2003), XXKF2805 .C74 2003.
- Drucker, Susan J. and Gary Gumpert. Real Law @ Virtual Space: Communication Regulation in Cyberspace (Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press, 2005), XXK564.C6 R43 2004.
- Elkin-Koren, Niva and Eli M. Salzberger. Law, Economics and Cyberspace: The Effects of Cyberspace on the Economic Analysis of Law, (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2004), XXK487.E3E455 2004 (also available in Regenstein).
- Emeritz, Robert E. (ed.). Internet Law & Regulation (Silver Springs, MD: Pike & Fischer, 1999- ), XXKF390.5.C6I57 (updated regularly).
- Friedman, Howard M. Securities Regulation in Cyberspace (New York: Bowne, 2001- ), XXKF1070.F75 2001 (updated regularly).
- Godwin, Mike. Cyber Rights: Defending Free Speech in the Digital Age (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2003), XXKF4772 .G63 2003.
- Hart, Jonathan D. Internet Law: A Field Guide (Washington, DC: BNA Books, 2006), XXKF2750 .H37 2006.
- Helewitz, Jeffrey A. (ed.). Cyberlaw: Legal Principles of Emerging Technologies (Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2005), XXKF390.5.C6C927 2005.
- Klang, Mathias and Andrew Murray (eds.). Human Rights in the Digital Age (Portland, Or.: GlassHouse, 2005), XXK3240.H8567 2005 (also available in Regenstein).
- Kuner, Christopher. European Data Protection Law: Corporate Compliance and Regulation (New York: Oxford University Press, 2007), XXKJE6071 .K86 2007.
- Lessing, Lawrence. Code: Version 2.0 (New York: BasicBooks, 2007), XXK3264.C65L377 2007 (also available in Regenstein Library).
- Mansell, Robin and Brian S. Collins (eds.). Trust and Crime in Information Societies, (Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, 2005), Regenstein HN400.I56 T78 2005.
- Annual Institute on Computer & Internet Law (New York, N.Y.: Practising Law Institute, 2005- ), XXKF390.5.C6C65.
- Software and Internet Law (New York, NY: Aspen Publishers, 2006), XXKF3024.C6 S37 2006.
Selected Journals and Law Reviews
Since many issues related to regulation of the Internet are constantly evolving, journal articles are an essential source for research in this area. A selection of journals that often cover legal issues relating to the Internet is included below. Most of these journals are available through LexisNexis, Westlaw, and HeinOnline. To determine whether the U of C has electronic access to a particular journal, use the E-Journals page on the Library website. URLs have been provided where the journal is freely available on the Internet. To find other law databases and journal indexes, see the Library's Law Databases page. To find databases in disciplines other than law, use Database Finder.
Selected Current Awareness Tools
The following publications provide current news and analysis of issues related to the regulation of the Internet. For information about BNA databases available at the Law School, see the Library website.
Below is a selection of websites that address legal issues related to technology and the Internet. All sites listed are freely available on the Internet. These sites provide a variety of news, relevant documents, and links to other related sites.