Optional Draft Review Service
The Summer 2014 deadline for requesting a draft review is Wednesday, July 16, at 4:30 p.m. when the Dissertation Office closes. We are happy to respond to your questions at any time, but we do not review late drafts and we do not review more than one version of a draft.
The Draft Review
Your draft need not be complete when you request a review. We review drafts on a first-come, first-served basis, and you may want an early review. The turn-around time for a draft review is usually within two weeks.
Follow the steps below to ask us to review a draft of your dissertation. Do not complete the submission process until you are ready to submit the final version of your dissertation.
- Format your dissertation draft using the relevant information in the University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D. Dissertation.
- Create an account on the ETD Administrator.
- Provide publishing information and contact information if you would like to do so. You may complete these sections later when you return to the ETD Administrator to revise or continue your submission.
- Begin the About my dissertation/thesis step to enter details (title, department, etc.) in the Dissertation/Thesis details section. Use headline style to enter your title. Titles in the convocation program use headline style, so this helps ensure accuracy in the program. If you change your title when you revise your PDF, you must remember to change your title in this section also.
- Upload your work as a PDF in the PDF section. (You can upload a revised PDF later. You will not need to create a new submission.)
- You may upload additional files if you would like to do so, but do not complete the Submission & payment sections. Do not complete the Submission steps until you submit the final version of your dissertation.
- Use the Ask the Dissertation Office form to contact us. We will use the email address you provide on the form to get back to you.
- We will respond shortly after we receive your draft review request, usually within 24 hours. Let us know right away if you do not receive our initial response acknowledging your request.
- We will send comments on your draft within a week or two. You should keep an eye on your junk mail in case our messages are filtered out as spam.
A draft review is helpful but not comprehensive; we do not edit dissertations. Our goal is to be sure you are on the right track with the formatting and submission process. We want to help you understand the basic requirements so that you can check your final PDF yourself and graduate as planned. It is your responsibility to follow the requirements consistently in your final dissertation.