PDF | XML

University of Chicago Library

Guide to the University Hospitals and Clinics Auxiliary Committee Records 1962-1981

© 2002 University of Chicago Library

Descriptive Summary

Title:

University Hospitals and Clinics. Auxiliary Committee. Records

Dates:

1962-1981(inclusive)

Size:

0.5 linear feet (1 box)

Repository:

Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.

Abstract:

University Hospitals and Clinics, Auxiliary Committee. The University Hospitals and Clinics, Auxiliary Committee Records consist of history, by-laws, minutes, chairman's reports, membership lists, photographs, and other records related to the Auxiliaries Committee from 1962 to 1981.

Information on Use

Access

The collection is open for research.

Citation

When quoting material from this collection the preferred citation is:

University Hospitals and Clinics. Auxiliary Committee. Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library

Historical Note

The University of Chicago Clinics opened on October 3, 1927 at the Albert Merritt Billings Hospital. As more clinics opened up at the University, the arrangement and finding procedures became confusing. Mrs. Nichols, the daughter of Dr. Frank Billings, suggested that a committee be formed by a group of women interested in the University but not directly connected with the clinics. This Auxiliary Committee was formed in 1929 to acquaint the general public with the purposes and organization of the Clinics and to supplement the professional care at the Clinics with volunteer services.

Some of the first accomplishments of the Auxiliary Committee included purchasing new furniture for the waiting rooms of the hospitals and arranging for Christmas decorating and carol singing. They also established a small library for patients. The Auxiliary Committee functioned continuously for 52 years until it was dissolved in 1981.

Scope Note

The University Hospitals and Clinics, Auxiliary Committee Records consist of one box of history, by-laws, minutes, chairman's reports, membership lists, photographs, and other records related to the Auxiliaries Committee from 1962 to 1981.

Related Resources

The following resources are located in the Special Collections Research Center:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/spcl/medic.html

Subject Headings

INVENTORY

Box 1   Folder 1

History

Box 1   Folder 2

Purposes and Service

Box 1   Folder 3

By Laws,

1964-1980

Box 1   Folder 4

Minutes,

1967-1969

Box 1   Folder 5

Minutes,

1970-1972

Box 1   Folder 6

Minutes,

1973-1975

Box 1   Folder 7

Minutes,

1976-1979

Box 1   Folder 8

Minutes,

1980-1981

Box 1   Folder 9

Correspondence

Box 1   Folder 10

Chairman's Reports

Box 1   Folder 11

Membership,

1962-1981

Box 1   Folder 12

Patients' Library, correspondence

Box 1   Folder 13

Art Cart

Box 1   Folder 14

Annual Appeal Fund

Box 1   Folder 15

Photographs and issues from the Tablet,

1973-1974