PDF | XML

University of Chicago Library

Guide to the University of Chicago Department of Buildings and Grounds Records 1892-1965

© 2009 University of Chicago Library

Descriptive Summary

Title:

University of Chicago. Department of Buildings and Grounds. Records

Dates:

1892-1965

Size:

28.5 linear feet (57 boxes)

Repository:

Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.

Abstract:

The Department of Building and Grounds Records, Series I, consists of the files of Lyman R. Flook (1889-1954), Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds from 1919 to 1953 and Superintendent of Construction from 1927 to 1932. Although some specifications for buildings completed before 1926 are included, the bulk of the collection consists of records of buildings erected during the University’s expansion program of 1926-1931. In addition to general and mechanical specifications, the collection contains records of the planning, daily building progress, furnishings, equipment, symbolism, and costs of individual structures. Series II documents the University’s efforts to start remodeling, re-tooling, and expanding after the Great Depression and World War II. They include correspondence, faculty minutes, construction records, and financial records pertaining to new buildings and records of alterations on older structures. They also include some files on projects that never came to fruition such as a University-built fraternity quadrangle, and a parking facility beneath the Midway Plaisance.

Information on Use

Access

The collection is open for research.

Citation

When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: University of Chicago. Department of Building and Grounds. Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library

Historical Note

Before Lyman Flook’s appointment as Superintendent of Construction in 1927, building activities at the University were directed and supervised by the Board of Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds and the University Business Manager. The Trustees’ Committee was among the first standing committees appointed by the President of the Board. Composed of the President of the University, the President and Secretary of the Board, and five Trustees, it held its first meeting in October, 1890. It was authorized to select the architect, designate the first sites and buildings, review specifications, consider bids, and make recommendations to the Board of Trustees. The Committee met regularly until the end of 1893, after which its work was assumed by the newly created Executive Committee of the Board; it was reinstated in 1898 and continued its work until 1932, when it was superseded by the Trustees’ Committee on Business Affairs.

In 1900, the University Council established a five-member Buildings and Grounds Committee drawn from the faculty and charged with advising the Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds. President Harper named Ernest D. Burton chairman of the group and expressed the hope that “steps be taken in the various departments concerned to formulate as accurately as possible the plans of buildings in which they are generally interested.” The faculty committee, however, was soon replaced by individual departmental committees selected as the need arose.

The Business Manager, an officer of the Board of Trustees and after 1923, a Vice-President of the University, was responsible for all expenditures on buildings and grounds. He prepared lists of University needs and estimated costs of physical improvements, and presented them to the Trustees’ Committee for discussion and approval. When funds had already been authorized, and only questions of design were involved, the Committee on Buildings and Grounds assumed full responsibility. If new expenditures were required, however, the Business Manager presented the Committee’s recommendations to the full Board of Trustees for discussion a ratification. Once building proposals were approved, the Business Manager secured the necessary contracts, supervised construction, and paid all bills.

The Department of Buildings and Grounds evolved gradually during these years. Although maintenance was originally handled by an Engineer, the growth in size and duties of the maintenance staff during the University’s first decade made the need for an efficient Superintendent apparent. M. H. Maclean was appointed the first Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds in 1903 and served until 1910. He was succeeded by Clyde Douglas (1910-1915) and H. W. Rouse (1916-1919). In 1919, Lyman Russell Flook, an engineer and former Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds at the University of Michigan, was named to the post. Although the administration of the physical plant had always been handled by the Business Office, it was not until 1916 that Buildings and Grounds was considered a separate Department in the auditor’s accounts.

In 1924, the University began a significant program of physical expansion financed in part by individual benefactors and in part by the remainder of John D. Rockefeller’s $10-million final gift in 1910. As planning proceeded, it became apparent that the variety of problems to be solved and decisions to be made was not only beyond the capacity of the Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds, but would also put a severe strain on the Business Office. In an August, 1924, letter to Business Manager Trevor Arnett, Flook argued that the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds could provide important assistance in the management of the new building program. “It is simply a question,” he said, “as to how far the Building Committee wishes to detail their responsibility to *** some other person. . . . Whoever the person designated, he should be familiar with the needs of the Academic Department occupying the Building, with the drawings and specifications. . . . He should be on the alert to forsee simplifications of plan, defects of planning, improvements of design and detail. . . . He should, for the Owner, inform himself as to the scheduling of the major materials and sub-contractor’s work, to be sure that the date of completion will be achieved. Such operations should clear through the channels having contractual relations with the Architect - the Owner’s usual contact - the Business Manager” (4:1).

In October, 1927, Flook’s proposal for an expanded role was largely realized by his appointment as Superintendent of Construction, a new post giving him direct supervision of the planning and erection of all campus buildings. Architects and engineer undertaking work were instructed to addre’ their correspondence directly to Flook’s office, where Flook would annotate carbon copies and forward them to the Vice-President and Business Manager. As part of this reorganization, Emery Jackson, an employee of the firm of Coolidge and Hodgdon, was apointed University Architect, and Lester Ries became Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds in charge of operations and maintenance.

For each building constructed during the expansion period, Flook consulted on the design with Jackson, the architects, faculty members, and a Faculty Committee on Symbolism appointed by the President to suggest subjects for ornamentation and approve models. Drawing on Flook’s reports, the Business Manager then made recommendations to the Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds. Ultimate decisions on the selection of architects and contractors, building plans, costs, materials used, equipment, furnishings, decoration, and inscriptions were made by the Trustees’ Committee with the ratification of the full Board of Trustees. Exceptions to this practice were buildings for such institutions as Chicago Lying-In Hospital and Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital that had come to the University with their own board of trustees.

Lyman Flook remained Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds until his retirement in 1953. The Department of Buildings and Grounds w discontinued in the 1960’s when construction was taken over by the Office of Physical Planning (established in 1967) and maintenance was absorbed by the Plant Department (established in 1969).

Twenty new buildings were constructed on the University campus during the expansion program of 1926-1931. The entire Midway facade was filled in, ranging from International House at the east to the hospital complex on the west, with Rockefeller Chapel, the Social Science Research Building, and Wieboldt Hall in between. The Oriental Institute was built northwest of Rockefeller Chapel as part of a planned but never fully realized Chapel Block. Two new buildings, Judd Hall and Sunny Gymnasium, were added to the School of Education. The inner quadrangles acquired Eckhart Hall and Jones Laboratory, as well as the Theology Group composed of Swift Hall, Bond Chapel, and the Cloister. To the north, a new Botany Laboratory, twelve greenhouses, and an animal research facility were constructed. Stagg Field was remodeled, and the Field House was added to campus recreational facilities. Construction south of the Midway included the Burton-Judson men’s residences and the Blackstone Avenue Power Plant.

The whole campus was dug up, not only in preparation for the new buildings, but also to permit the laying of an intricate network of tunnels emanating from the Power Plant that would bring heat and electricity to every building on the campus. Along with this construction, older buildings were remodeled, including the President’s House, several dormitories, and a group of stores on 61st Street redesigned in the Tudor style to serve students living south of the Midway. Cottages, barns, apartment buildings, and the old Del Prado Hotel were demolished to make room for new buildings. The old Quadrangle Club, converted for use by the School of Commerce, was moved to 58th Street and renamed Ingleside Hall. Professor William Gardner Hale’s house was rolled down University Avenue and relocated south of the new Quadrangle Club to provide a graduate club house and make room for Chicago Theological Seminary to construct its complex on the northeast corner of 58th Street.

The number or architects involved in this expansion program distinguished it from the two earlier phases of University construction. During the first period (1892-1900), Henry Ives Cobb had dominated design as the University’s chief architect. In the second phase (1901-1916), most of the work was done by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge. In the third phase (1926-1931), Charles Coolidge continued as a campus architect through a new partnership with Charles Hodgdon, for many veers the firm’s Chicago representative. Other architectural firms participating in the expansion were Goodhue Associates (later Mayers, Murray, and Phillip); Holabird and Roche (later Holabird and Root); Charles z. Klauder; Armstrong, Furst, and Tilton; Zantzinger, Borie, and Medarie; Perkins, Chatten, and Hammond; and Schmidt, Garden, and Erickson.

This was also the final period of reliance on neo-Gothic styles in the University’s architecture. While a complete break with eclecticism would not be made until the construction of the Administration Building in 1948, the technological and financial strains of designing Gothic hospitals, laboratories, or gymnasia were increasingly apparent. Later University buildings would adapt to rather than adopt the Gothic mode.

With the exception of the Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration (Public Administration Clearing House), completed in 1937, no new buildings were erected on the University campus between 1932 and 1948. After World War II new buildings were needed to accommodate the radical developments in the physical sciences, house the University’s administrative staff, furnish residences for faculty and students, enlarge University High School, and provide additional facilities for the professional schools. Additions to the hospitals were accompanied by long over-due reconstruction and updating of old facilities. A building program was devised for the south side of the Midway Plaisance that drew in affiliated organizations working with the University on problems of research and education. These included, in addition to the Public Administration Clearing House, the American Bar Center, the Center for Continuing Education, now the Graduate Student Residence, and the Industrial Relations Center (Charles Stewart Mott Building).

After 1948 major changes took place in the University’s architectural style, its methods of financing new buildings, and the ways in which the building program was planned and administered.

Three important factors influenced the University’s architectural style: 1) the decision to abandon neo-Gothic in favor of a more contemporary approach; 2) the determination to preserve campus unity so far as possible by continuing to build in limestone, maintain where appropriate the quadrangular plan, and encourage the architects to integrate the new buildings with the old; and 3) a policy of employing renowned contemporary architects to design individual buildings, rather than giving, as in the past, almost total responsibility for the entire campus to one firm (see guide to Department of Buildings and Grounds Records, Sub-Series 1). Among the firms given commissions were Holabird, Root and Burgee; Eero Saarinen and Associates; Edward Durrell Stone; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe; Perkins and Will; and Harry Weese and Associates. Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, who had designed Chicago Lying-In Hospital in 1931, were architects for the alterations to the old hospitals, the new hospital units, and the Research Institutes.

Whereas before World War II University buildings were financed chiefly by the beneficence of individual donors And/or the Rockefellers, the post-War period saw an enormous growth in government, foundation, and corporate funding. For example, the Argonne Cancer Research Hospital (now the Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute) was constructed under the supervision of and with funds from the Atomic Energy Commission; the Research Institutes were financed by the Atomic Energy Commission, the Office of Naval Research, and more than twenty leading corporations; the Center for Continuing Education was given by the W. K. Kellogg Foundation; and the re-modelling of the first women’s dormitories for use by the Department of Psychology was made possible by a grant from the National Science Foundation.

The administrative mechanisms for planning and supervising the building program were also changed. The Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds had been terminated in 1932, and its work was assumed by the Committee on Business Affairs. In 1949 the functions of the Committee on Business Affairs were taken over by the Budget Committee and any ad hoc committees it might see fit to appoint. Among these ad hoc committees were the Area Committee, formed in 1949 to address the problems posed by the deterioration in the surrounding neighborhoods, and the Committee on Campus Development. The latter was succeeded in 1958 by the Trustees’ Committee on Campus Planning. Thus there evolved two different but interacting and cooperating Trustees’ committees, one concerned with the building program and the neighborhood, the other with the campus.

Guidance and surveillance of architects for campus buildings had earlier been the responsibility of the Trustees’ Committee on Building and Grounds, working in cooperation with the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. In 1929, in response to the pressure engendered by President Burton’s building program, the office of Consulting Architect was created, and Emery Jackson, who had been with Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge and done much of the designing for Ida Noyes Hall, was selected to fill the post. Both Jackson and the Department of Buildings and Grounds had offices in Ingleside Hall. Jackson was succeeded in 1948 by J. Lee Jones, who held the office until he retired in 1964 to be replaced by I. W. Colburn. Jones’s office was in Rosenwald until 1963 when the Office of University Architect was created and located in the Young Building (Chicago Home for Incurables).

A further architectural appointment was made in the mid-fifties. Uneasiness about the conditions of the neighborhoods to the north and south of the University, combined with a sense of the magnitude of the building program, contributed to the Trustees’ determination to select an outside architect to prepare a long-range plan. Consulting Architect J. Lee Jones prepared a list of potential candidates from which the Trustees might choose. Eero Saarinen, who had had extensive experience in campus planning, and was highly recommended by Trustee Walter Paepcke, for whom he had worked in Aspen, was selected to develop a master plan for the University.

Saarinen paid his first visit to the University in 1954. In 1955 he presented a master plan at a joint meeting of the Trustees’ Area Committee and the Committee on Campus Development. He was subsequently engaged as a consulting architect to pass on the appropriateness of the work of other architects designing for the University. His firm also designed two University complexes, the Law School Quadrangle and Woodward Court and Commons. In 1958 Saarinen’s preliminary plan was revised and presented to the newly constituted Trustees’ Committee on Campus Planning. Saarinen’s untimely death in 1961 terminated this particular phase of campus planning, but the program for this period was climaxed in 1964 by the successful application to the Ford Foundation for a $25 million challenge grant for extensive additions to the physical facilities and the announcement in 1965 of the opening of the Campaign for Chicago.

In 1969 the Office of University Architect and a new office of campus planning were combined into the joint Department of Physical Planning and Construction. Problems of maintenance and management were delegated to the newly established Plant Department.

Scope Note

The collection is divided into two series, the first covering the years 1892 to 1932 and the second 1932 through 1965.

Series I: Department of Building and Grounds, 1892-1932

Lyman Flook maintained files on every aspect of his work for the Department of Buildings and Grounds: planning and construction reports, financial statements, office organization, and correspondence with individual faculty members, Trustees, committees, architects, contractors, and suppliers. To facilitate access to the records and eliminate redundancy, his files have been reorganized into four series: General Office Files, Landscaping and Maintenance, Individual Buildings, and Catalogues and Letterheads.

Subseries 1: General Office Files

This series contains the internal operational records of the Department of Buildings and Grounds and the Office of the Superintendent of Construction. Although some records antedate Flook’s appointment as Superintendent of Construction, the bulk of the material extends from his initial report to President Judson in 1919 to the termination of the Office of Superintendent of Construction in 1932 (1:5-2:8). Flook’s larger concerns about university architecture are reflected in his collection of articles and brochures on building activities at the University of Chicago and other institutions (1:2). He was in regular contact with fellow building superintendents and occa. onally visited their campuses to consult on the development of construction plans. This series also contains Flook’s personal files, his army record, vita, geneology, college account book, and reading list (3:8-10).

Subseries 2: Landscaping and maintenance

The Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds regarded landscaping as an integral past of the total campus scheme. Walks, drives, walls, and steps, particularly in the central quadrangles, met the practical need for access while enhancing the general impression of a comprehensive design. Correspondence and reports in this series have been arranged chronologically by project, followed by miscellaneous records on general landscape maintenance.

Subseries 3: Individual Buildings

All of Flook’s Departmental records relating to the construction of individual buildings have been consolidated within this series. Existing records for each building are arranged to reflect the typical stages of building construction: specifications, planning, progress reports, arior furnishing and equipment, symboli , and cost. The most complete sequences of records document buildings erected during Flook’s tenure as Superintendent of Construction (1927-1931).

General specifications are drawn up by the architects and list the conditions governing the execution of the contract: work to be done and materials to be used; regulations and agreements about workmanship; and responsibility, liability, and fees. Mechanical specifications are similar, except that they spell out requirements for heating, ventilation, and electrical work. Planning files include correspondence between Flook, the architects, the Business Manager, the President’s Office, faculty, and members of the Trustees’ Committee on Buildings and Grounds concerning the budgeted price of the structure, cost estimates, materials, appearance, spatial arrangements, and relationships with other campus buildings. Progress reports record the weather, working conditions, number of men on the job, kind of work being done, and number of visitors to the site. Furnishing and equipment could be selected by a faculty committee (24:8), by Flook in cooperation with a departmental representative (16:7), or by a professional interior decorator (12:5). After decisions were made on decoration and inscription, final cost statements were prepared detailing breakdowns of payments to architects, contractors, craftsmen, and suppliers.

Subseries 4: Catalogues and Letterheads

This series contains a selection of suppliers’ catalogues and business letterheads from Flook’s files. The catalogues provide important information on the building technology of the period. Letterheads from Flook’s correspondence often contain engravings of the supplier’s headquarters and factory, names of officers, illustrations of products, and lists of other buildings served by the firm.

Series II: Department of Building and Grounds, 1932-1965

Building records in this series are arranged alphabetically for the most part, one exception being the alterations and new buildings for the hospitals and clinics. These are also listed alphabetically, but under the general heading Hospitals and Clinics. Names and uses of hospital units have changed so frequently over the years that it is sometimes difficult to associate the record of a building with its physical space.

A second large general category is Residences and Facilities for Students. This includes not only completed buildings such as Pierce Tower and Woodward Court but also the plans for an never built women’s residence and some reports of faculty committees on the problems of student housing. The original files for the Center for Continuing Education, now the Graduate Student Residence, are to be found here. At the end of the alphabetical sequence are two boxes (21-22) containing miscellaneous building trades, furniture, and equipment brochures.

For each new building, the records include minutes and correspondence, particularly with architects, faculty, and contractors, relating to planning; lists and costs of furniture and equipment, building estimates, and sources of funding; publicity; and accounts of groundbreakings and dedications. Daily progress reports are available for many of the buildings. Routinely discarded in processing the collection were bills and receipts, their data being available in contractors’ reports and financial statements, change orders that would be reflected on drawings, and letters acknowledging receipt of shop drawings. Absent from this sub-series because they were in use for work on the addition to the Law School Library started in 1984 are the records for the Laird Bell Law Quadrangle (Eero Saarinen and Associates, 1959).

Related Resources

The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/spcl/select.html

Board of Trustees. Minutes

Board of Trustees. Committee on Buildings and Grounds

Office of the President. Records

Ernest DeWitt Burton. Papers

Thomas W. Goodspeed. Papers

Edgar Goodspeed. Papers

Marion Talbot. Papers

Harold Swift. Papers

Archival Buildings Files

Subject Headings

INVENTORY

Series I: Department of Building and Grounds, 1892-1932

Subseries 1: General Office Files

Box 1   Folder 1

Architectural records of the University, correspondence concerning, 1926-1930

Box 1   Folder 2

Architectural references (miscellaneous correspondence and publications)

Box 1   Folder 3

Budgets; 1927-1928, 1928-1929

Box 1   Folder 4

Buildings demolished or moved, 1924-1931

Box 1   Folder 5

Buildings planned but not built, 1919-1931

Box 1   Folder 6

Buildings under construction, financial statements, 1925

Box 1   Folder 7

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1926

Box 1   Folder 8

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jul-Dec 1926

Box 1   Folder 9

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Feb-June 1927

Box 1   Folder 10

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Aug-Dec 1927

Box 1   Folder 11

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1928

Box 2   Folder 1

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Aug-Dec 1928

Box 2   Folder 2

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1929

Box 2   Folder 3

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jul-Dec 1929

Box 2   Folder 4

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1930

Box 2   Folder 5

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jul-Dec 1930

Box 2   Folder 6

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1931

Box 2   Folder 7

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jul-Dec 1931

Box 2   Folder 8

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1932

Box 3   Folder 1

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jul-Dec 1932

Box 3   Folder 2

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-May 1933

Box 3   Folder 3

Buildings under construction, financial statements, Jan-June 1934

Box 3   Folder 4

City of Chicago fire inspections; 1916, 1917, 1922, 1925

Box 3   Folder 5

Contractors and trades, Lists, 1927, 1928

Box 3   Folder 6

Construction summaries, annual; 1927, 1928, 1931, 1932

Box 3   Folder 7

Cost and cubage tabulations, comparative, 1924-1931

Box 3   Folder 8

Flook, Lyman R., personal

Box 3   Folder 9

Flook, Lyman R., personal

Box 3   Folder 10

Flook, Lyman R., personal

Box 3   Folder 11

Insurance inspections; 1913, 1920

Box 3   Folder 12

Landis Award Committee, publications

Box 4   Folder 1

Office organization, 1919-1931

Box 4   Folder 2

Other campuses

Box 4   Folder 3

Power needs

Box 4   Folder 4

Price book, Mar 1929-Jul 1931

Box 4   Folder 5

Sixty-first Street shops

Box 4   Folder 6

Water systems

Subseries 2: Landscaping and Maintenance

Box 5   Folder 1

Hull Court (Olmsted Bros., 1903), specifications

Box 5   Folder 2

Walks, drives, drainage (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1906-1912), specifications

Box 5   Folder 3

Walks, paving, sodding (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1915), specifications

Box 5   Folder 4

Quadrangles landscaping (Bennett, Parsons and Frost, 1926-1930), correspondence

Box 5   Folder 5

Chicago Lying-in Hospital landscaping (Thomas Seyster, 1930), specifications and correspondence

Box 5   Folder 6

International House and other landscaping (Beatrix Farrand, 1920), correspondence and financial statements

Box 5   Folder 7

Landscape maintenance, 1924-1931

Subseries 3: Individual Buildings

Box 6   Folder 1

Anatomy Building, SEE Hull Biological Laboratories

  • Beecher Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1899), Alterations, 1899-1900; specifications and correspondence
Box 6   Folder 2

Beecher Hall, Specifications

  • Billings Hospital, SEE Medical Group
  • Biology Center, SEE Hull Biological Laboratories
Box 6   Folder 3

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant (John J. Davey, 1929; Philip Maher, Consulting), Specifications, general

Box 6   Folder 4

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, A.C. distribution

Box 6   Folder 5

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, boilers

Box 6   Folder 6

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, caissons, general excavation

Box 6   Folder 7

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, chimneys, coal handling

Box 6   Folder 8

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, forced draft fans

Box 6   Folder 9

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, piping, pre-heaters

Box 7   Folder 1

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, structured steel, super-heaters

Box 7   Folder 2-4

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, tunnels

Box 7   Folder 5

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, water heater and softener

Box 7   Folder 6

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Specifications, wiring

Box 8   Folder 1

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Planning, 1923-1927

Box 8   Folder 2

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Planning, 1928

Box 8   Folder 3

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Planning, 1929

Box 8   Folder 4

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Planning, 1930

Box 8   Folder 5

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Operation

Box 8   Folder 6

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Progress reports, 1927-1930

Box 8   Folder 7

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Symbolism and ornamentation

Box 8   Folder 8

Blackstone Avenue Power Plant, Costs and audits

Box 9   Folder 1

Blaine Hall (James Gamble Rogers, 1903), Specifications, furniture

Box 9   Folder 2

Bobs Roberts Hospital (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1930), Specifications, general

Box 9   Folder 3

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Specifications, mechanical

Box 9   Folder 4

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Specifications, fixtures and equipment

Box 9   Folder 5

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Planning, 1927-1930

Box 9   Folder 6

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Progress reports, 1929-1930

Box 9   Folder 7

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Interior furnishings and equipment

Box 9   Folder 8

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Symbolism, mural, portrait

Box 9   Folder 9

Bobs Roberts Hospital, Costs

  • Bond Chapel, SEE Theology Group
  • Botany Building, SEE Hull Biological Laboratories
Box 10   Folder 1

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed (Perkins, Chatten and Hammond, 1930), Specifications, laboratory

Box 10   Folder 2

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed, Specifications, greenhouses and potting shed

Box 10   Folder 3

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed, Planning, 1924-1930

Box 10   Folder 4

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 10   Folder 5

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed, Symbolism

Box 10   Folder 6

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed, Greenhouses (Lord and Burnham)

Box 10   Folder 7

Botany Laboratory, Greenhouses, and Potting Shed, Costs, audits

Box 11   Folder 1

Burton-Judson Courts (Zantzinger, Borie and Medary, 1931), specifications, general

Box 11   Folder 2

Burton-Judson Courts, Specifications, heating, plumbing, ventilation

Box 11   Folder 3

Burton-Judson Courts, Specifications, kitchen equipment, refrigeration

Box 12   Folder 1

Burton-Judson Courts, Planning, 1928

Box 12   Folder 2

Burton-Judson Courts, Planning, 1929

Box 12   Folder 3

Burton-Judson Courts, Planning, 1930-1931

Box 12   Folder 4

Burton-Judson Courts, Progress reports

Box 12   Folder 5

Burton-Judson Courts, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 12   Folder 6

Burton-Judson Courts, Sculpture, woodcarving, ornamental iron, stained glass

Box 12   Folder 7

Burton-Judson Courts, Costs, audit

Box 13   Folder 1

Business East, formerly Law School (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1904), Specifications, general

Box 13   Folder 2

Business East, Specifications, furniture and lighting

Box 13   Folder 3

Business East, Alterations contract, 1909; alterations specifications, 1929

Box 14   Folder 1

Chicago Lying-in Hospital (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1931), Specifications, general

Box 14   Folder 2

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Specifications, mechanical

Box 14   Folder 3

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Planning, 1927-1931

Box 14   Folder 4

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 14   Folder 5

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Symbolism

Box 14   Folder 6

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Costs, audit

Box 15   Folder 1

Classics Building (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1914), Specifications, general

Box 15   Folder 2

Classics Building, Specifications, mechanical

Box 15   Folder 3

Classics Building, Specifications, cut stone

Box 15   Folder 4

Cobb Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1892), Specifications, heating and ventilation

Box 15   Folder 5

Cobb Hall, Alteration specifications, 1907

  • Culver Hall, SEE Hull Biological Laboratories
Box 16   Folder 1

Eckhart Hall (Charles Z. Klauder, 1929), Specifications, general

Box 16   Folder 2

Eckhart Hall, Specifications, mechanical

Box 16   Folder 3

Eckhart Hall, Planning, 1927-1928

Box 16   Folder 4

Eckhart Hall, Planning, 1929-1930

Box 16   Folder 5

Eckhart Hall, Progress reports, 1929

Box 16   Folder 6

Eckhart Hall, Progress reports, 1930

Box 16   Folder 7

Eckhart Hall, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 16   Folder 8

Eckhart Hall, Symbolism, carving, inscriptions, portraits

Box 16   Folder 9

Eckhart Hall, Costs, audit

Box 17   Folder 1

Field House (Holabird and Root, 1932), Specifications, general, 1925

Box 17   Folder 2

Field House, Specifications, general, 1931

Box 17   Folder 3

Field House, Specifications, mechanical

Box 17   Folder 4

Field House, Planning, 1924-1928

Box 17   Folder 5

Field House, Planning, 1929-1932

Box 17   Folder 6

Field House, Progress reports, 1931-1932

Box 17   Folder 7

Field House, Costs, audit

Box 18   Folder 1

Foster Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1893) specifications, heating and ventilation

Box 18   Folder 2

Foster Hall, Refurbishing, correspondence, 1926-1927

Box 18   Folder 3

Gates Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1892), Alterations (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1923), specifications

Box 18   Folder 4

Goodspeed Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1892), Remodeling (Julius Floto,1937); specifications, general

Box 18   Folder 5

Goodspeed Hall, Remodeling, specifications, mechanical

Box 18   Folder 6

Green Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1899), Specifications, general

Box 18   Folder 7

Harper Memorial Library (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1912) Specifications, general

Box 18   Folder 8

Harper Memorial Library, Specifications, mechanical

Box 18   Folder 9

Harper Memorial Library, Alterations (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1926), correspondence

Box 18   Folder 10

Harper Memorial Library, Burton window, 1927; Harper bas-relief, 1932

Box 18   Folder 11

Haskell Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1896), Specifications, carpenter work

Box 19   Folder 1

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1931), Specifications, general

Box 19   Folder 2

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Specifications, mechanical

Box 19   Folder 3

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Specifications, equipment

Box 19   Folder 4

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Planning, 1927-1930

Box 19   Folder 5

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Progress schedule

Box 19   Folder 6

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 19   Folder 7

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Symbolism, cornerstone

Box 19   Folder 8

Hicks-McElwee Orthopedics Hospital, Costs, audit

Box 20   Folder 1

Hitchcock Hall (Dwight H. Perkins, 1902), Alterations (1913), specifications

Box 20   Folder 2

Hull Biological Laboratories, Culver, Anatomy, Zoology, Biology (H. I. Cobb, 1897), Specifications, masonry and marble

Box 20   Folder 3

Hull Biological Laboratories, Specifications, mechanical

Box 20   Folder 4

Hull Biological Laboratories, Anatomy Building alterations and additions (Holabird and Roche, 1922), specifications

  • Hutchinson Commons, SEE Tower Group
Box 20   Folder 5

International House (Holabird and Root, 1932), Specifications, general

Box 20   Folder 6

International House, Specifications, mechanical

Box 20   Folder 7

International House, Specifications, kitchen equipment, hardware

Box 20   Folder 8

International House, Planning, 1929-1931

Box 21   Folder 1-2

International House, Progress reports, 1931-1932

Box 21   Folder 3

International House, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 21   Folder 4

International House, Symbolism, carving, fountain

Box 21   Folder 5

International House, Costs

Box 21   Folder 6-7

International House, Audits

Box 22   Folder 1

Jones Laboratory (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1929) Specifications, general

Box 22   Folder 2

Jones Laboratory, Specifications, mechanical

Box 22   Folder 3

Jones Laboratory, Specifications, equipment

Box 22   Folder 4

Jones Laboratory, Planning, 1926-1929

Box 22   Folder 5

Jones Laboratory, Progress reports, 1929

Box 22   Folder 6

Jones Laboratory, Schlesinger, H. I., correspondence, 1929

Box 22   Folder 7

Jones Laboratory, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 22   Folder 8

Jones Laboratory, Symbolism and ornamentation

Box 22   Folder 9

Jones Laboratory, Costs

Box 23   Folder 1

Judd Hall (Armstrong, Furst and Tilton, 1931) Specifications, general

Box 23   Folder 2

Judd Hall, Planning, 1923-1931

Box 23   Folder 3

Judd Hall, Progress reports, 1930-1931

Box 23   Folder 4

Judd Hall, Audits

Box 23   Folder 5

Kelly Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1893) Alterations (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1906), specifications

Box 23   Folder 6

Kent Chemical Laboratory (H. I. Cobb, 1894) Specifications, mechanical

Box 23   Folder 7

Kent Chemical Laboratory, Alterations (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1909), specifications

  • Law School, SEE Business East
  • Mand Hall, SEE Tower Group
Box 23   Folder 8

Medical Group (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1925-1928) Specifications, general

Box 23   Folder 9

Medical Group, Specifications, mechanical

Box 23   Folder 10

Medical Group, Specifications, equipment

Box 23   Folder 11

Medical Group, Planning, 1920-1928

Box 23   Folder 12

Medical Group, Interior furnishings and equipment

Box 23   Folder 13

Medical Group, Tablets and inscriptions

Box 23   Folder 14

Medical Group, Costs

  • Mitchell Tower, SEE Tower Group
Box 24   Folder 1

Morgan Park Academy, Park Hall alterations and additions (H. I. Cobb, 1896), specifications

Box 24   Folder 2

Morgan Park Academy, Gymnasium (Dwight H. Perkins, 1900), specifications

Box 24   Folder 3

Ida Noyes Hall (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1916), Specifications, general

Box 24   Folder 4

Ida Noyes Hall, Specifications, mechanical

Box 24   Folder 5

Ida Noyes Hall, Donor

Box 24   Folder 6

Ida Noyes Hall, Planning

Box 24   Folder 7

Ida Noyes Hall, Dedication

Box 24   Folder 8

Ida Noyes Hall, Inventories and correspondence, furnishings, 1915-1938

Box 24   Folder 9

Ida Noyes Hall, oriental rugs, 1916-1956

Box 24   Folder 10

Ida Noyes Hall, art objects, 1920-1938

Box 24   Folder 11

Ida Noyes Hall, Mural

Box 24   Folder 12

Ida Noyes Hall, Use, policy for, 1916-1921; in relation to women’s dormitories. 1931

Box 24   Folder 13

Ida Noyes Hall, Guides, brochures, biography of Ida Noyes

Box 25   Folder 1

Oriental Institute (Mayer, Murray and Phillip, 1931) Specifications, general

Box 25   Folder 2

Oriental Institute, Specifications, mechanical

Box 25   Folder 3

Oriental Institute, Planning, 1928-1931

Box 25   Folder 4

Oriental Institute, Progress reports, 1930-1931

Box 25   Folder 5

Oriental Institute, Interior furnishings and equipment

Box 25   Folder 6

Oriental Institute, Symbolism, carving, tablet

Box 25   Folder 7

Oriental Institute, Audits

Box 25   Folder 8

Orthogenic School (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1917), Additions and alterations (Edward F. Jansson, 1930), specifications

Box 25   Folder 9

President’s House (H. I. Cobb, 1895), Specifications, general

Box 25   Folder 10

President’s House, Alterations and additions (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1929), specifications

Box 26   Folder 1

Press Building (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1902), Specifications, general

Box 26   Folder 2

Press Building, Specifications, mechanical

Box 26   Folder 3

Press Building, Specifications, alterations (1902, 1907); addition (1929)

Box 26   Folder 4

Quadrangle Club (Howard V. D. Shaw, 1921), Specifications, general

Box 26   Folder 5

Heating contract, 1922

  • Reynolds Club SEE Tower Group
Box 26   Folder 6

Ricketts Laboratory (Holabird and Roche, 1914), Specifications, general

Box 26   Folder 7

Ricketts Laboratory South (Henry K. Holsman, 1922), Specifications, general

Box 26   Folder 8

Rockefeller Chapel (Bertram G. Goodhue, Goodhue Associates, 1928), Specifications, general

Box 26   Folder 9

Rockefeller Chapel, Specifications, mechanical

Box 26   Folder 10

Rockefeller Chapel, Planning, 1918

Box 26   Folder 11

Rockefeller Chapel, Planning, 1919

Box 26   Folder 12

Rockefeller Chapel, Planning, 1920

Box 26   Folder 13

Rockefeller Chapel, Planning, 1922-1923

Box 26   Folder 14

Rockefeller Chapel, Planning, 1924

Box 27   Folder 1

Rockefeller Chapel, Planning, 1925-1926

Box 27   Folder 2

Rockefeller Chapel, Progress reports, 1925

Box 27   Folder 3

Rockefeller Chapel, Progress reports, 1926

Box 27   Folder 4

Rockefeller Chapel, Progress reports, 1927

Box 27   Folder 5

Rockefeller Chapel, Progress reports, 1927

Box 27   Folder 6

Rockefeller Chapel, Progress reports, 1928

Box 27   Folder 7

Rockefeller Chapel, Acoustics

Box 27   Folder 8

Rockefeller Chapel, Architects’ correspondence

Box 27   Folder 9

Rockefeller Chapel, Carillon

Box 27   Folder 10

Rockefeller Chapel, Goodspeed, Edgar; correspondence and The University Chapel

Box 27   Folder 11

Rockefeller Chapel, Indiana Limestone Co., correspondence and publications

Box 27   Folder 12

Rockefeller Chapel, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 27   Folder 13

Rockefeller Chapel, Organ

Box 28   Folder 1

Rockefeller Chapel, Symbolism, carving, models

Box 28   Folder 2

Rockefeller Chapel, Tablets, inscriptions

Box 28   Folder 3

Rockefeller Chapel, Windows

Box 28   Folder 4

Rockefeller Chapel, University of Chicago Magazine, Dec 1928; building trades advertisements featuring the Chapel

Box 28   Folder 5

Rosenwald Hall (Holabird and Roche, 1914), Specifications, general

Box 28   Folder 6

Rosenwald Hall, Specifications, mechanical

Box 28   Folder 7

Ryerson Physical Laboratory (H. I. Cobb, 1893), Specifications, mechanical

Box 28   Folder 8

Ryerson Physical Laboratory, Specifications, additions and alterations (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1910)

Box 28   Folder 9

Ryerson Physical Laboratory, Specifications, additions and alterations (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1927-1929)

Box 28   Folder 10

Snell Hall (H. I. Cobb, 1893), Specifications, mechanical

Box 29   Folder 1-2

Social Science Research Building (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1929), Specifications, general

Box 29   Folder 3

Social Science Research Building, Specifications, mechanical

Box 29   Folder 4

Social Science Research Building, Planning, 1926-1927

Box 29   Folder 5

Social Science Research Building, Planning, 1928

Box 29   Folder 6

Social Science Research Building, Progress reports, 1929

Box 29   Folder 7

Social Science Research Building, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 29   Folder 8

Social Science Research Building, Symbolism, models, carving, tablet

Box 29   Folder 9

Social Science Research Building, Costs, audits

Box 30   Folder 1

Stagg Field (Holabird and Root, 1929), Specifications, general (James Gamble Rogers, 1903)

Box 30   Folder 2

Stagg Field, Specifications, alterations and additions (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1914)

Box 30   Folder 3

Stagg Field, Specifications, tunnel and piping (1914)

Box 30   Folder 4

Stagg Field, Specifications, general (Holabird and Roche, 1926)

Box 30   Folder 5

Stagg Field, Planning, 1923-1929

Box 31   Folder 1

Sunny Gymnasium (Armstrong, Furst and Tilton, 1929), Specifications, general

Box 31   Folder 2

Sunny Gymnasium, Specifications mechanical

Box 31   Folder 3

Sunny Gymnasium, Planning, 1927-1929

Box 31   Folder 4

Sunny Gymnasium, Architects’ correspondence, 1928

Box 31   Folder 5

Sunny Gymnasium, Architects’ correspondence, 1929

Box 31   Folder 6

Sunny Gymnasium, Architects’ correspondence, 1929

Box 31   Folder 7

Sunny Gymnasium, Fence, Jackman Field

Box 31   Folder 8

Sunny Gymnasium, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 31   Folder 9

Sunny Gymnasium, Symbolism, carving

Box 31   Folder 10

Sunny Gymnasium, Costs

  • Swift Hall, SEE Theology Group
Box 32   Folder 1

Theology Group, Bond Chapel, Cloister, Swift Hall (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1926), Specifications, general

Box 32   Folder 2

Theology Group, Specifications, mechanical

Box 32   Folder 3

Theology Group, Planning, 1924-1926

Box 32   Folder 4

Bond Chapel; specifications, general

Box 32   Folder 5

Bond Chapel; mechanical

Box 32   Folder 6

Bond Chapel; inferior furnishing and equipment, organ, inscriptions

Box 32   Folder 7

Bond Chapel; costs

Box 32   Folder 8

Cloister; specifications

Box 32   Folder 9

Cloister; planning, 1925-1928

Box 32   Folder 10

Swift Hall; planning, 1924-1927

Box 32   Folder 11

Swift Hall; progress reports, 1924-1925

Box 32   Folder 12

Swift Hall; interior furnishing and equipment

Box 32   Folder 13

Swift Hall; models, inscriptions

Box 32   Folder 14

Swift Hall; costs

Box 33   Folder 1

Tower Group, Mandel Hall, Hutchinson Commons, Reynolds Club, Mitchell Tower (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1903), Specifications, superstructure

Box 33   Folder 2

Tower Group, Specifications, foundations

Box 33   Folder 3

Tower Group, Hutchinson Commons; specifications, furniture and fittings

Box 33   Folder 4

Tower Group, Hutchinson Commons; specifications, kitchen

Box 33   Folder 5

Tower Group, Hutchinson Commons; specifications, mechanical

Box 33   Folder 6

Tower Group, Hutchinson Commons; specifications, spa and private dining room (1923)

Box 33   Folder 7

Tower Group, Mandel Hall; curtain and scenery, 1903

Box 33   Folder 8

Tower Group, Mandel Hall; alterations (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1926-1929), specifications and correspondence

Box 33   Folder 9

Tower Group, Organ and chimes

Box 33   Folder 10

Walker Museum (H. I. Cobb, 1893), Specifications, mechanical

Box 33   Folder 11

Whitman Laboratory (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1926), Specifications, general

Box 33   Folder 12

Whitman Laboratory, Specifications, mechanical

Box 34   Folder 1

Wieboldt Hall (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1928), Specifications, general

Box 34   Folder 2

Wieboldt Hall, Specifications, general

Box 34   Folder 3

Wieboldt Hall, Specifications, mechanical

Box 34   Folder 4

Wieboldt Hall, Planning, 1925-1928

Box 34   Folder 5

Wieboldt Hall, Interior furnishing and equipment

Box 34   Folder 6

Wieboldt Hall, Symbolism, models, inscriptions

Box 34   Folder 7

Wychwood, Lake Geneva, Wisc. (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1909), Specifications, house and boathouse

Box 34   Folder 8

Wychwood, Lake Geneva, Wisc., Specifications, service building (Robert C. Spencer, Jr., n.d.)

Box 34   Folder 9

Yerkes Observatory (H. I. Cobb, 1895), Specifications, general

Box 34   Folder 10

Yerkes Observatory, Specifications, repairs and alterations (1908)

Box 34   Folder 11

Yerkes Observatory, Specifications, repairs to 90-ft. dome (1923-1927)

Box 34   Folder 12

Yerkes Observatory Faculty Houses (H. I. Cobb, 1896), Specifications, general

  • Zoology Building, SEE Hull Biological Laboratories

Subseries 4: Catalogs and Letterheads

Box 34   Folder 13

Air conditioning

Box 34   Folder 14

Architects

Box 34   Folder 15

Building materials

Box 35   Folder 1

Church organs, chimes, cushions, tablets

Box 35   Folder 2

Decorating: floors, walls, windows

Box 35   Folder 3

Electrical equipment and lighting

Box 35   Folder 4

Elevators

Box 35   Folder 5

Furniture and equipment

Box 35   Folder 6

Glass

Box 35   Folder 7

Greenhouses

Box 35   Folder 8

Hardware

Box 35   Folder 9

Landscaping

Box 35   Folder 10

Photographers

Box 35   Folder 11

Plumbing

Box 35   Folder 12

Power plant equipment

Box 35   Folder 13

Small houses

Series II: Department of Building and Grounds, 1932-1965

Subseries 1: Buildings, A-H

Box 36   Folder 1

Accelerator Building (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1951), see also Research Institutes, Planning, 1946-1949

Box 36   Folder 2

Accelerator Building, Furniture and equipment

Box 36   Folder 3

Accelerator Building, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 36   Folder 4

Accelerator Building, Proton Target Station, 1954-1958

Box 36   Folder 5

Accelerator Building, Damage to Physical Sciences Shop, 1963

Box 36   Folder 6

Accelerator Building, Alterations, 1964

Box 36   Folder 7

Administration Building (Holabird, Root and Burgee, 1948), Planning, 1943-1948

Box 36   Folder 8

Administration Building, Furniture and equipment

Box 36   Folder 9

Administration Building, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 36   Folder 10

Administration Building, Publicity

Box 36   Folder 11

American Bar Center (Holabird and Root, 1954), Addition, 1961

Box 37   Folder 1

  • American Meat Institute, SEE Eye Research Laboratories Animal Behavior Laboratory (Burnham and Hammond, 1961), Planning, 1956-1961
Box 37   Folder 2

Animal Behavior Laboratory, Specifications, 1960

Box 37   Folder 3

Animal Behavior Laboratory, Costs

  • Argonne Cancer Research Hospital, SEE Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute
  • Center for Continuing Education, SEE Graduate Student Residence
Box 37   Folder 4

Chancellor’s House, Alterations (Shaw, Metz and Dolio, 1949)

Box 37   Folder 5

Chancellor’s House, Alterations and furnishing, 1961

Box 37   Folder 6-8

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration (Zantzinger, Borie and Medary, 1937), Planning, 1936-1938

Box 38   Folder 1-3

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Progress reports, 1937-1938

Box 38   Folder 4

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Furnishing and decorating

Box 38   Folder 5

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Ornamental iron

Box 38   Folder 6

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Models

Box 38   Folder 7

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Costs

Box 38   Folder 8

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Addition and alterations (Shaw, Metz and Dolio, 1962), planning, 1956-1961

Box 38   Folder 9

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Addition and alterations, progress reports, 1961-1962

Box 38   Folder 10

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Addition and alterations, structural investigation report, 1962

Box 38   Folder 11

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Addition and alterations, groundbreaking, 1961

Box 38   Folder 12

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Addition and alterations, landscaping

Box 38   Folder 13-14

Charles E. Merriam Center for Public Administration, Addition and alterations, costs, 1960

Box 39   Folder 1

Charles Stewart Mott Building (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1958), Planning, 1956-1958

Box 39   Folder 2

Charles Stewart Mott Building, Floor plans

Box 39   Folder 3

Charles Stewart Mott Building, Furnishing and decorating

Box 39   Folder 4

Charles Stewart Mott Building, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 39   Folder 5

Charles Stewart Mott Building, Cornerstone

Box 39   Folder 6

Charles Stewart Mott Building, Plaques and inscriptions

  • Computation Center, SEE Research Institutes
Box 39   Folder 7

Cummings Life Sciences Center (I. W. Colburn and Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1970), Proposed quadrangle, 1960

Box 39   Folder 8

Cummings Life Sciences Center, Planning, 1957-1961

Box 39   Folder 9

Eye Research Laboratories (American Meat Institute, Burnham and Hammond, 1949), Planning, 1940-1949

Box 39   Folder 10

Eye Research Laboratories, Equipment

Box 39   Folder 11

Eye Research Laboratories, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 40   Folder 1

Faculty Housing, 6011 Ingleside Avenue (Philip B. Maher, 1949), Planning, 1929-1947

Box 40   Folder 2

Faculty Housing, 6011 Ingleside Avenue, Architects’ specifications and contracts

Box 40   Folder 3

Faculty Housing, 6011 Ingleside Avenue, General specifications

Box 40   Folder 4

Faculty Housing, 6011 Ingleside Avenue, Mechanical and electric specifications

Box 40   Folder 5

Fire Alarm System, Report, 1965

Box 40   Folder 6

Harper Memorial Library (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1912), Alterations (Burnham and Hammond, 1962-1964)

Subseries 2: Hospitals and Clinics

Box 40   Folder 7

Billings Hospital (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1927), alterations (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1949-1964), Planning, 1947-1957

Box 40   Folder 8

Billings Hospital, alterations, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 40   Folder 9

Billings Hospital, alterations, Plaques, inscriptions

Box 41   Folder 1

O Billings Hospital, alterations, rthopedic clinics, Package 1

Box 41   Folder 2

Billings Hospital, alterations, Miscellaneous, Package 2

Box 41   Folder 3

Billings Hospital, alterations, Surgical, urology, ear nose and throat clinics, Package 3

Box 41   Folder 4

Billings Hospital, alterations, Outpatient lobby, Package 4

Box 41   Folder 5

Billings Hospital, alterations, Animal quarters, Package 7

Box 41   Folder 6

Billings Hospital, alterations, Air conditioning auditorium and autopsy room, Package 9

Box 41   Folder 7

Billings Hospital, alterations, M-1 and A-1 corridor, superintendent’s office, Package 10

Box 41   Folder 8

Billings Hospital, alterations, Men’s and women’s toilets, Package 10a

Box 41   Folder 9

Billings Hospital, alterations, Surgery clinic, Package 11

Box 41   Folder 10

Billings Hospital, alterations, Basement cafeteria, Package 13

Box 41   Folder 11

Billings Hospital, alterations, A-4 corridor, chest surgery, Package 14

Box 41   Folder 12

Billings Hospital, alterations, M-1 corridor and adjacent work, Package 15

Box 42   Folder 1

Billings Hospital, alterations, Gift shop, lobby, Package 16

Box 42   Folder 2

Billings Hospital, alterations, Morgue, Package 17

Box 42   Folder 3

Billings Hospital, alterations, Pharmacy, Package 19

Box 42   Folder 4

Billings Hospital, alterations, Cafeteria air conditioning, Package 20

Box 42   Folder 5

Billings Hospital, alterations, Photographic area, Package 20a

Box 42   Folder 6

Billings Hospital, alterations, Nurses station W3, Package 23

Box 42   Folder 7

Billings Hospital, alterations, Vendomatic and security office, Package 24

Box 42   Folder 8

Billings Hospital, alterations, Intensive care wing, Package 26

Box 42   Folder 9

Billings Hospital, alterations, Outpatient psychiatric clinic, Packages 27 and 27a

Box 42   Folder 10

Billings Hospital, alterations, Microbiology, Package 29

Box 43   Folder 1

Billings Hospital, alterations, Air conditioning feasibility study, 1958

Box 43   Folder 2

Billings Hospital, alterations, Air conditioning feasibility study, 1960

Box 43   Folder 3

Billings Hospital, alterations, Air conditioning feasibility study, 1956-1962

Box 43   Folder 4

Billings Hospital Court Building (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1951), Planning, 1948-1951

Box 43   Folder 5

Billings Hospital Court Building, Estimates, costs

Box 43   Folder 6

Billings Hospital Court Building, Progress reports, 1949-1951

Box 43   Folder 7

Billings Hospital Court Building, Publicity

Box 43   Folder 8

Billings Hospital Court Building, Service entrance

Box 43   Folder 9

Billings Hospital Court Building, Transformer vault remodeling

Box 43   Folder 10

Bobs Roberts Hospital (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1930), Alterations, 1958-1960

Box 43   Folder 11-13

Chicago Home for Incurables (Chronic Disease Hospital, Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1961), Planning, 1958-1961 SEE ALSO Young Memorial Building

Box 44   Folder 1

Chicago Home for Incurables, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 44   Folder 2

Chicago Home for Incurables, Progress reports, 1959-1961

Box 44   Folder 3

Chicago Home for Incurables, Equipping and decorating

Box 44   Folder 4

Chicago Home for Incurables, Plaque

Box 44   Folder 5

Chicago Home for Incurables, Landscaping

Box 44   Folder 6

Chicago Home for Incurables, Publicity

Box 44   Folder 7

Chicago Home for Incurables, Alterations, 1961-1963

Box 44   Folder 8

Chicago Lying-in Hospital (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1931), Alterations, 1953-1956

Box 44   Folder 9

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Mothers’ Aid Pavilion alterations, planning, 1955

Box 44   Folder 10

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Mothers’, estimates, costs, funding

Box 44   Folder 11

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Mothers’, furnishing and decorating

Box 44   Folder 12

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Mothers’, publicity

Box 44   Folder 13

Chicago Lying-in Hospital, Mothers’, plaques

Box 45   Folder 1

Chronic Disease Hospital, SEE Chicago Home for Incurables Country Home for Convalescent Children, Re-designation of funds and memorial plaque

Box 45   Folder 2

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute (Argonne Cancer Research Hospital, Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1953), Planning, 1947-1952

Box 45   Folder 3

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Arthur D. Little, Inc., report, 1948

Box 45   Folder 4

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Government contract, 1950

Box 45   Folder 5

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Subcontracts

Box 45   Folder 6

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 45   Folder 7

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Progress reports, 1949-1953

Box 45   Folder 8

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Equipment

Box 45   Folder 9

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Models

Box 45   Folder 10

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Alterations, 1956-1958

Box 45   Folder 11

Franklin McLean Memorial Research Institute, Additions and alterations, 1960-1962

Box 46   Folder 1

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1950), Planning, 1946-1951

Box 46   Folder 2

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 46   Folder 3

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital, Progress reports, 1948-1950

Box 46   Folder 4

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital, Equipping and furnishing

Box 46   Folder 5

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital, Plaques and inscriptions

Box 46   Folder 6

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital, Cornerstone

Box 46   Folder 7

Goldblatt Memorial Hospital, Publicity

Box 46   Folder 8

Goldblatt Pavilion, Outpatient Department (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1961), Planning, 1957-1959

Box 46   Folder 9

Goldblatt Pavilion, Outpatient Department, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 46   Folder 10

Goldblatt Pavilion, Outpatient Department, Furnishing and decorating

Box 46   Folder 11

Goldblatt Pavilion, Outpatient Department, Plaques and inscriptions

Box 46   Folder 12

Goldblatt Pavilion, Outpatient Department, Landscaping

Box 46   Folder 13

Goldblatt Pavilion, Outpatient Department, Groundbreaking and dedication

Box 47   Folder 1

Hicks-Gilman Smith Hospital (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1953), Planning, 1936-1953

Box 47   Folder 2

Hicks-Gilman Smith Hospital, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 47   Folder 3

Hicks-Gilman Smith Hospital, Progress reports, 1951-1953

Box 47   Folder 4

Hicks-Gilman Smith Hospital, Equipping, furnishing, decorating

Box 47   Folder 5

Hicks-Gilman Smith Hospital, Ornament, tablet, bust

Box 47   Folder 6

Hicks-Gilman Smith Hospital, Memorial agreements

Box 47   Folder 7

Home for Destitute Crippled Children (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1929), Alterations, 1958-1959

Box 47   Folder 8

Proposed Patient Hotel, Plans and estimates, 1947

Subseries 3: Buildings, J-R

Box 47   Folder 9

Jones Chemical Laboratory (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1929), Proposed alterations and additions, 1957

Box 47   Folder 10

Kent Chemical Laboratory (Henry Ives Cobb, 1894), Alterations, 1958

Box 48   Folder 1

Laird Bell Law Quadrangle (Eero Saarinen and Associates, 1959, Planning, 1953

Box 48   Folder 2

Midway Plaisance, Underground parking

Box 48   Folder 3

Midway Studios (Pond and Pond, 1910; Otis F. Johnson, 1929), Remodeling, 1963-1965

Box 48   Folder 4

National Opinion Research Center (5720 Woodlawn, Myron Hunt, 1897), Remodelling plans, 1958-1961

Box 48   Folder 5

National Opinion Research Center, Costs

Box 48   Folder 6

National Opinion Research Center, 6030 Ellis (Hausner and Macsai, David Swan, 1966), planning, 1963-1965

  • Orthogenic School, SEE Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School
Box 48   Folder 7

Psychology Building (Kelly, Beecher, Green, Henry Ives Cobb, 1893, 1899), Alterations, planning, 1961-1965

Box 48   Folder 8

Psychology Building, Application for National Science Foundation grant, 1962

Box 48   Folder 9

Psychology Building, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 48   Folder 10

Psychology Building, Progress reports

Box 48   Folder 11

Psychology Building, Furnishing

Box 49   Folder 1

Quadrangle Club (Howard Van Doren Shaw, 1922), Refurbishing, 1956-1962

Box 49   Folder 2

Radar Station, Installation at 5801 Dorchester, 1961

Box 49   Folder 3-4

Research Institutes (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1951), Planning, 1945-1952

Box 49   Folder 5

Research Institutes, Costs

Box 49   Folder 6

Research Institutes, Progress reports, 1949-1950

Box 49   Folder 7

Research Institutes, Furnishing and equipping

Box 49   Folder 8

Research Institutes, Publicity

Box 49   Folder 9

Research Institutes, Low Temperature Laboratory (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1957), planning

Box 49   Folder 10

Research Institutes, Low Temperature Laboratory (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1957), estimates, costs, funding

Box 50   Folder 1

Research Institutes, Computation Center (Schmidt, Garden and Erikson, 1961), planning, 1950-1959

Box 50   Folder 2

Research Institutes, Computation Center, estimates, costs, funding

Box 50   Folder 3

Research Institutes, Computation Center, progress reports, 1959-1961

Box 50   Folder 4

Research Institutes, Computation Center, publicity

Box 50   Folder 5

Research Institutes, Computation Center, basement extension, 1963

Subseries 4: Residences and Facilities for Students

Box 50   Folder 6

Faculty Committee, 1964-1965

Box 50   Folder 7

Fraternities, 1962-1963

Box 50   Folder 8-10

Graduate Student Residence (Center for Continuing Education,

  • Edward Durrell Stone, 1963, Planning, 1957-1961
Box 50   Folder 11

Graduate Student Residence, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 51   Folder 1

Graduate Student Residence, Furnishing and fitting

Box 51   Folder 2

Graduate Student Residence, Groundbreaking and dedication

Box 51   Folder 3

Graduate Student Residence, Landscaping

Box 51   Folder 4

Graduate Student Residence, Publicity

Box 51   Folder 5

Married Student Housing, Proposal by Harry Weese and Associates, 1956

Box 51   Folder 6

Phemister Hall (Burnham and Hammond, 1959), Planning, 1955-1960

Box 51   Folder 7

Phemister Hall, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 51   Folder 8

Phemister Hall, Progress reports, 1958-1959

Box 51   Folder 9

Phemister Hall, Plaque

Box 51   Folder 10

Pierce Hall (Harry Weese and Associates, 1960), Planning, 1957-1962

Box 51   Folder 11

Pierce Hall, Progress reports, 1958-1960

Box 51   Folder 12

Pierce Hall, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 51   Folder 13

Pierce Hall, Housing and Home Finance Agency correspondence, 1957-1960

Box 52   Folder 1

Pierce Hall, Furnishing, equipping, decorating

Box 52   Folder 2

Pierce Hall, Landscaping

Box 52   Folder 3

Pierce Hall, Publicity

Box 52   Folder 4

Pierce Hall, Groundbreaking

Box 52   Folder 5

Women’s Residence (Zantzinger, Borie and Medary, 1932, never built), Planning, 1928-1932

Box 52   Folder 6

Women’s Residence, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 52   Folder 7

Woodward Court (Women’s Residence, Eero Saarinen and Associates, 1958), Planning, 1954

Box 52   Folder 8

Woodward Court, Planning, Holabird, Root and Burgee, 1954

Box 52   Folder 9-10

Woodward Court, Planning, Eero Saarinen and Associates, 1954-1956

Box 52   Folder 11

Woodward Court, Estimates, costs, funding

Box 53   Folder 1

Woodward Court, Furnishing, specifications

Box 53   Folder 2

Woodward Court, Furnishing, Saarinen schedule

Box 53   Folder 3

Woodward Court, Furnishing, 1956-1965

Box 53   Folder 4

Woodward Court, Landscaping

Box 53   Folder 5

Woodward Court, Dining halls (Woodward Commons)

Box 53   Folder 6

Woodward Court, Dining halls (Woodward Commons) furnishing

Box 53   Folder 7

Woodward Court, Lounge and head suite alterations, 1966

Box 53   Folder 8

Woodward Court, Publicity

Box 53   Folder 9

Woodward Court, 1956

Subseries 5: Buildings, S-Y

Box 54   Folder 1

Social Service Administration Building (Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, 1964), Estimates, costs, funding

Box 54   Folder 2

Social Service Administration Building, Furnishing

Box 54   Folder 3

Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School (Coolidge and Hodgdon, 1917: alterations, Shaw, Metz and Dolio, 1951), Planning, 1950

Box 54   Folder 4

Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School, Costs

Box 54   Folder 5

Sonia Shankman Orthogenic Schoo,l Furnishing and decorating

Box 54   Folder 6

Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School, Cornerstone

  • Stagg Field, SEE West Stands
Box 54   Folder 7

Temporary Buildings, Arrangements for, 1947

Box 54   Folder 8

Tower Group (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1901), Remodeling (Harry Weese and Associates, 1965)

Box 54   Folder 9-11

University High School (Perkins and Will, 1960), Planning, 1955-1957

Box 55   Folder 1

University High School, Planning, 1958-1960

Box 55   Folder 2

University High School, Estimates, costs

Box 55   Folder 3

University High School, Furnishing and equipping

Box 55   Folder 4

University High School, Landscaping

Box 55   Folder 5

University High School, Scammon Court

Box 55   Folder 6

University High School, Temporary Gymnasium (James Gamble Rogers, 1903), demolition, 1959

Box 55   Folder 7

University High School, Plaques

Box 55   Folder 8

University High School, Dedication

Box 55   Folder 9

University High School, Publicity

Box 55   Folder 10

University High School, Architects’ statement of purpose

Box 55   Folder 11

University High School, Architects award

Box 55   Folder 12

Walker Museum (Henry Ives Cobb, 1893), Alterations, 1956, 1963, planning

Box 55   Folder 13

Estimates, costs, funding

Box 55   Folder 14

West Stands (Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge, 1913), Alterations for Institute of Metals, 1946

Box 55   Folder 15

West Stands, Demolition, 1954

Box 55   Folder 16

Young Memorial Building (Chicago Home for Incurables, Burling and Whitehouse, 1888), Plans for future use, 1960

Subseries 6: Building Trades, Furniture and Equipment Brochures

Box 56   Folder 1

Blinds

Box 56   Folder 2

Clocks

Box 56   Folder 3

Dispensers and vendors

Box 56   Folder 4

Electrical equipment

Box 56   Folder 5

Elevators

Box 56   Folder 6

Fences

Box 56   Folder 7

Filters

Box 56   Folder 8

Floors

Box 56   Folder 9

Furniture

Box 56   Folder 10

Kitchen equipment

Box 57   Folder 1

Laboratory equipment

Box 57   Folder 2

Lettering

Box 57   Folder 3

Lighting

Box 57   Folder 4

Plaques

Box 57   Folder 5

Plumbing

Box 57   Folder 6

Pumps

Box 57   Folder 7

Roofing

Box 57   Folder 8

Smoking equipment

Box 57   Folder 9

Sterilizers

Box 57   Folder 10

Temperature control

Box 57   Folder 11

Trucking and lifting

Box 57   Folder 12

Ventilation

Box 57   Folder 13

Walls, doors, partitions

Box 57   Folder 14

Windows