PDF | XML

University of Chicago Library

Guide to the University of Chicago. Harper College Center Rededication Records 1912-1973

© 2007 University of Chicago Library

Descriptive Summary

Title:

University of Chicago. Harper College Center Rededication Records

Dates:

1912-1973

Size:

2.75 linear ft. (4 boxes)

Repository:

Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.

Abstract:

In 1912 the construction of a new University of Chicago Library was completed. The building was dedicated in memory of the University of Chicago’s first President, William Rainey Harper, who died in 1906. The Harper Memorial Library was then renovated in 1973 and rededicated in conjunction with the renovation of Wiebolt Hall. Materials in this collection include programs, booklets, speeches, film media, and miscellaneous memorabilia associated with the 1912 and 1973 dedication ceremonies.

Information on Use

Access

Access to audio visual material may be restricted due to condition or lack of equipment.

Citation

When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: University of Chicago. Harper College Center Rededication Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library

Biographical Note

In 1902 the University of Chicago saw the need to construct a permanent central library. Plans for the new library were underway when the university’s first President, William Rainey Harper, passed away in 1906. To honor his service to the university, it was decided that the new library would be dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1910 when the first cornerstone was laid. The building was completed in June of 1912, when the first dedication ceremony took place. Harper Memorial Library served as the main library for the university until the Regestein Library opened in September of 1970. At this time, Harper Library and Wiebolt Hall (originally constructed in 1928) were renovated to preserve their unique architecture and make them better able to meet the university’s growing needs. The rededication ceremony in 1973 marked the completion of these renovations and the transformation of the Harper Memorial Library from the university’s main library to the new College Center, designed to be the distinctive home for the undergraduate College.

Scope Note

The Harper College Center Rededication collection consists of programs, speeches, booklets, reel-to-reel, film, and other miscellaneous material associated with the original 1912 dedication and the 1973 rededication.

Related Resources

The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:

http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/spcl/select.html

Subject Headings

INVENTORY

Box 1   Folder 1

Replies, invitations to the dedication of William Rainey Harper Memorial Library, 1912

Box 1   Folder 2

Regrets, invitations to the dedication of William Rainey Harper Memorial Library, 1912

Box 1   Folder 3

Regrets, invitations to the dedication of William Rainey Harper Memorial Library, 1912

Box 1   Folder 4

Subscription to the Faculty Fund of the William Rainey Harper Memorial Library Fund, 1906-1909

Box 1   Folder 5

Program, cornerstone laying of William Rainey Harper Memorial Library, June 14, 1910

Box 1   Folder 6

Guest list, re-opening of Harper Memorial Library and Wiebolt hall, October 25, 1973

  • Program, re-opening of Harper Memorial Library and Wiebolt hall, October 25, 1973
Box 1   Folder 7

Program 346th Convocation, October 26, 1973

Box 1   Folder 8

Lectures, typed copies, Harper Lectures Series in conjunction with rededication ceremonies, October-November 1973

Box 1   Folder 9

Lectures, typed copies, Harper-Wiebolt rededication ceremonies, October 1973

Box 1   Folder 10

Slides, parade celebrating opening of the Harper Memorial Library College Center, October 26, 1973

Box 2    Folder 1

Administration information, misc. associated with 346th Convocation and accompanying re-opening of Harper Memorial Library and Wiebolt Hall

Box 2    Folder 2

Administrative correspondence associated with 346th Convocation and accompanying re-opening of Harper Memorial Library and Wiebolt Hall

Box 3   Folder 1

Booklet, "The William Rainey Harper Memorial Library with some account of the other buildings of the university," created for the dedication of Harper Memorial Library, June 10-11, 1912

Box 3   Folder 2

Scrapbook, cornerstone laying and dedication of the William Rainey Harper Memorial Library

Box 3   Folder 3

Booklet, "The William Rainey Harper Memorial Library with some account of the other buildings of the university," created for the dedication of Harper Memorial Library, June 10-11, reprint, 1973.

Box 3   Folder 4

Chicago Maroon, articles regarding re-opening of Harper Memorial Library and Wiebolt Hall, October 1973

Box 3   Folder 5

Posters, Harper Lecture Series and other campus events in honor of the rededication ceremonies

Box 4

Joseph Scwab, "Back-Talk from Abroad," reel-to-reel tape, Harper Dedication Lecture Series, November 19, 1973

Box 4

Soia Mentschikoff, "Problems of Perception in Legal Contexts," reel-to-reel tape, Harper Dedication Lecture Series, November 5, 1973

Box 4

Carl Hovde, "University College and Advanced Study," reel-to-reel tape, Harper Dedication Lecture Series, November 26, 1973

Box 4

Joshua C. Taylor, "The Lost Art, or What Happened in the Grove," reel-to-reel tape, Harper Dedication Lecture Series, November 12, 1973

Box 4

William Rea Keast, "What Happened to Liberal Education," reel-to-reel tape, Harper Dedication Lecture Series, October 29, 1973

Box 4

"Rededication and Reopening of Harper-Wiebolt: at entrance to the Building, Dedmon, Levi, Oxnard, Weintraub," reel-to-reel tape, October 25, 1973.

Box 4

"Rededication of Harper-Wiebolt: Speeches at Cobb Hall (Quantrell Aud.), R. Hildrebrand, et. al.," reel-to-reel tape, October 25, 1973

Box 4

"Rededication of Harper-Wiebolt: After-dinner speeches in Hutchinson Commons," reel-to-reel tape, October 25, 1973

Box 4

Harper Dedication Parade, film, October 26, 1973