© 2010 University of Chicago Library
Hyde Park Center. Collection
0.25 linear feet (1 box)
Special Collections Research Center
Established in 1908, the Hyde Park Center was an independent welfare organization providing services to children and youth in the neighborhood, such as a free kindergarten and playground, clubs and activities, and job training for youth. The organization was established in response to the problem of homeless and wayward young boys in the neighborhood. It was affiliated with the Hyde Park Juvenile Protective League, a branch of the Juvenile Protective League founded by Jane Addams in 1901, and relied heavily on mostly female volunteers from the neighborhood and local churches. This collection consists of six bulletins published by the Hyde Park Center.
The collection is open for research.
Original documents, texts, and images represented by digital images linked to this finding aid are subject to U. S. copyright law. It is the user's sole responsibility to secure any necessary copyright permission to reproduce or publish documents, texts, and images from any holders of rights in the original materials.
The University of Chicago Library, in its capacity as owner of the physical property represented by the digital images linked to this finding aid, encourages the use of these materials for educational and scholarly purposes. Any reproduction or publication from these digital images requires that the following credit line be included: Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library.
Commercial publication projects require the permission of the University of Chicago Library and may be subject to a use fee. To order publication-quality reproductions, or for permission to copy or use any part of the digital images attached to this finding aid for any commercial purposes, please contact the Special Collections Research Center.
The images presented here may include materials reflecting the attitudes, language, and stereotypes of an earlier time period. These materials are presented as historical resources in support of study and research. Inclusion of such materials does not constitute an endorsement of their content by the University of Chicago.
The University of Chicago Library appreciates hearing from anyone who may have information about any of the images in this collection.
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Hyde Park Center. Collection, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
The Hyde Park Center was an independent welfare organization that provided a free kindergarten for toddlers, built a playground, and organized athletic and educational activities for children and teenagers in the neighborhood. The organization was formed in 1908 after the discovery of gangs of homeless and neglected boys in the Hyde Park area. In 1909, the Hyde Park Center became affiliated with the Hyde Park Juvenile Protective League, a branch of the Chicago-wide Juvenile Protective League, which was founded by Jane Addams and her colleagues at Hull House and was devoted to preventing juvenile delinquency. The center was not formally affiliated with a church, but many representatives from local churches were involved in its administration. Activities and clubs were divided along gender lines, with sporting, debate and manual skills emphasized for boys, while homemaking skills, such as cooking and sewing, were emphasized for girls. The center also hosted a library and conducted vocational training and job placement for youth. Most of those who worked at the Center were volunteers, usually women from the Hyde Park neighborhood. The center was supported by membership dues and charitable contributions.
The collection contains six bulletins published by the Hyde Park Center over the period 1910-1917. The bulletins contain reports of the activities, accomplishments and plans of the organization, lists of its members, annual and project budgets, and advertising for local Hyde Park businesses.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
|Box 1 Folder 1|
Bulletin No. 3, 1910
|Box 1 Folder 2|
Bulletin No. 4, 1912
|Box 1 Folder 3|
Bulletin No. 5, 1912
|Box 1 Folder 4|
Bulletin No. 6, 1914
|Box 1 Folder 5|
Bulletin No. 7, 1915
|Box 1 Folder 6|
Bulletin No. 7, 1915 (copy 2)
|Box 1 Folder 7|
Bulletin No. 8, 1917