© 2010 University of Chicago Library
University of Chicago. Pi Lambda Theta, Lambda Chapter. Records
0.25 linear feet (1 box)
Special Collections Research Center
The Pi Lambda Theta, Lambda Chapter Records comprise minutes of the Chapter’s first two years of meetings (1921-1923) and various procedural guidelines, membership lists, meeting materials, newsletters, fiscal reports, and correspondence from 1987 through 1989.
The collection is open for research.
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: University of Chicago. Pi Lambda Theta, Lambda Chapter. Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
Pi Lambda Theta is an honor society for educators which was founded in 1910 by the Dean of Education at the University of Missouri, Dr. W.W. Charters. As a member of Phi Beta Kappa, an honor society who admitted only men at the time, Dr. Charters sought to create a similar honor and professional society for women educators. Six other Midwestern institutions had joined the University of Missouri in creating local charters by 1916. In 1917, the society increased its regional scope to a national one, and by the 2000s, it had sixty-three regional, national, and international charters and 15,000 men and women members.
The mission of the Pi Lambda Theta is to honor academic excellence, promote leadership among educators, encourage educational research, and make available to members activities and resources for pursuing these goals.
Pi Lambda Theta installed the Lambda Chapter at the University of Chicago in June, 1921. Its meetings were held on campus in Judd Hall where the Department of Education was housed. Different members of the Education Faculty served as Faculty Advisers to the Chapter. It appears that the Lambda Chapter was dissolved in the mid 1990s when the University of Chicago closed the Department of Education.
The records are organized in sixteen folders. The first folder contains a notebook holding the handwritten minutes of the Lambda Chapter’s installation and first two years of meetings.
The remaining fifteen folders contain documents created between 1982 and 1989, including membership lists, procedural guidelines, meeting materials (including announcements, agenda, and minutes), financial and fundraising reports, newsletters, memoranda from the national society, program schedules, correspondence, and catalogs of reprints.
These fifteen folders follow an order that is generally chronological. Folders two through six contain information about the organization and membership of the Lambda Chapter; folders seven through fourteen contain information on the Chapter’s activities (programs, meetings, and reports); folders fourteen and fifteen contain correspondence; and folder sixteen contains catalogs of the Educational Excellence Network.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
|Box 1 Folder 1|
Notebook, installation and meeting minutes, 1921-1923
|Box 1 Folder 2|
Chapter Officer Lists, 1988-1989
|Box 1 Folder 3|
Member Lists, 1988-1989
|Box 1 Folder 4|
Guidelines and By-Laws, undated
|Box 1 Folder 5|
Organizational Guidelines and Procedures, 1982-1988
|Box 1 Folder 6|
Council Bids and National Office Memoranda, 1989
|Box 1 Folder 7|
Summary of the Chapter’s Programs, 1988-89
|Box 1 Folder 8|
|Box 1 Folder 9|
Newsletters, Announcements, Meeting Materials, 1988
|Box 1 Folder 10|
Agenda and Invitations, 1988-1989
|Box 1 Folder 11|
|Box 1 Folder 12|
Treasurer’s Reports, 1987-1989
|Box 1 Folder 13|
Membership and Fundraising Reports, 1988
|Box 1 Folder 14|
|Box 1 Folder 15|
|Box 1 Folder 16|
Educational Excellence Network Reprint catalogues, 1988-1989