University of Chicago Library
Guide to the John Manfred Rise Papers 1919-1921
© 2006 University of Chicago Library
Rise, John Manfred. Papers
0.5 linear feet (1 box)
Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.
The letters and ephemera of John Manfred Rise (1899-1970) describe student life at the University of Chicago between 1919 and 1921.
Information on Use
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Rise, John Manfred. Papers, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
John Manfred Rise (1899-1970) was a student at the College University of Chicago from 1918 to 1920.
The papers of John Manfred Rise (1898-1970) paint a vivid picture of student life at the University of Chicago during the late 'teens. Rise was a student in the College from 1918-1920 and in letters home to his mother and friends he tells of "typical" student life of the time. He comments on campus food, the entertainment available in Hyde Park and Chicago, class work and lectures, and late night talks with friends where such questions as whether or not all women were "inveterate liars" were discussed. From these papers, one gleans an idea not only of early student life at the University of Chicago, but also a sense of the character of the student experience.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
|Box 1: Folder 1|
- 28 March, 1919, JMR to Mary H. Rise (mother) and Carl; ALS 3pp. w/ envelope
- 5 May, 1919, JMR to MHR; ALS 3pp. w/ envelope
- 29 June, 1919, JRM to MHR and Carl; ALS 1p.
- 20 July, 1919, MHR to JMR; ALS 2pp. w/ envelope
- 12 August, 1919, JMR to MHR; ALS 1 p. w/ envelope
- 15 August, 1919, MHR to JMR; ALS 1p. w/ envelope
- 23 August, 1919, JMR to MHR; TLS 1p. w/ envelope
- 14 October, 1919, William H. Sassaman to JMR; ALS 1p.
- 23 October, 1919, WHS to JMR; ALS 2pp. w/ envelope (pp. 1 & 2 missing)
- 7 November, 1919, WHS to JMR; ALS 2pp. w/ envelope
- 26 December, 1919, WHS to JMR; ALS 2 pp. w/ envelope
- [n.d.], 1919, JMR to MHR; TLS 1 p.
- [n.m.] 25, 1919, JMR to Carl; TLS 1p.
- Piece of a letter signed by H. A. Feldman
|Box 1: Folder 2|
- 3 January, 1920, JMR to MHR (first page only); AL 1p.
- JMR to MHR (?) (last page only); ALS 1p.
- 11 February, 1920, WHS to JMR; ALS 1p. w/ envelope
- 22 February, 1920, WHS to JMR; ALS 1p. w/ envelope
- 26 February, 1920, JMR to MHR; TLS 1p.
- 3 April, 1920, WHS to JMR; ALS 1p. w/ envelope
- 11 July, 1920, WHS to JMR; TLS 1p. w/ envelope
- 24 September, 1920, JMR to Mr. G. N. Carmen; ALS 1p.
- 28 September, 1920, Letter of recommendation from GNC to JMR; ALS 1p.
- 15 October, 1920, Helen Smith to JMR; TLS 1p.
- 3 December, 1920, Edna Pearson to JMR; ALS 1p. w/ envelope
- 24 December, 1920, Judie to JMR; ACS; 1p. w/ envelope
- 25 December, 1920, Ruth Pettit to JMR; ACS 1p. w/ envelope
- 27 December, 1920, Anna Printz to JMR; ALS 1p. w/ envelope
- 11 March, 1921, E. P. to JMR; TLS 1p. w/ envelope
- 27 April, 1921 I. Benning to JMR; ACS 2pp. w/ envelope
|Box 1: Folder 2|
- 2 June, 1921, Emma Tompkins to JMR; ALS 2pp. w/ envelope
|Box 1: Folder 3|
- Two photographs of campus taken from JMR's room window
- House of Mrs. Martin
- Sitting room, looking into room of JMR
- JMR with friends
- MHR with others
- Photograph of JMR, 1920. Daguerre Studios
|Box 1: Folder 4|
- November 23, 1920, Lucille to JMR card
- July 21, 1919, "A Mother's Love" w/ envelope (JMR to MHR)
- 1919, JMR's expense account
- March 12, 1919, Important Notice to Room Occupants
- Spring, 1919, JMR Reynolds Club Membership Card
- 1918-1919, U of C Handbook, Volume X
- 1909-1910, JMR's monthly report from public school
- July 1918, JMR's U of C undergraduate course book
- March 26, 1921, Annual Charity Ball Ticket
- July 26, 1921, Poly Con Examination Book