The University of Chicago Centennial CataloguesThe University of Chicago FacultyLife on the QuadsUniversity and the CityThe Presidents of the University
Life on the Quads
A Centennial View of
the Student Experience at the
University of Chicago
page 3 of 6| « previous | next »

Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house decorated for Homecoming, undated.

Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house decorated for Homecoming, undated.

 

Nu Pi Sigma, oath of allegiance, undated.

Nu Pi Sigma, oath of allegiance, undated. The rituals and secrecy of some women's clubs approached those of a sorority. The Nu Pi Sigma oath also obligated its members "to help correct any undesirable tendencies growing up in the college life."

The Social Scene

Women's Clubs
Like their male counterparts, women at the University of Chicago began forming organizations almost as soon as the school opened. Harper opposed sororities even more strongly than fraternities, but he agreed with Dean Marion Talbot's view that women had a right to determine their own role on campus and that they should be allowed to organize.

Harper and Talbot benefited from an antisorority sentiment that existed among many University women, particularly those who had become involved in the flourishing, non-Greek social clubs. Talbot, in a letter to her mother, admitted that "there is really no reason why the sororities should not come, except the feeling that they are undesirable." In point of fact, the women's clubs thrived on the same exclusivity as the fraternities and soon took on many of the trappings and rituals of sororities.

The founding of the two women's clubs, the Esoteric in 1894 and the Quadranglers a year later, was heartily supported by the administration. Marked by weekly teas and "cozies," quarterly athletic "play days," and punctuated by an annual formal dinner party, these women's clubs provided, in the view of Harper and Talbot, an appropriate form of recreation and socialization. The Mortar Board, established in 1894, was even closer to Harper's conception of an ideal club, for its purpose was both social and cultural. The Mortar Board sponsored "cozies," skits, and an annual mother-daughter tea, in addition to literary meetings which created, for Harper, a proper blend between the demands of academia and the need for social outlets.

As an important focus of social activities, the women's clubs which were formed in the first quarter century endured and grew in popularity. The total number of women's clubs increased more slowly than did the fraternities. In 1928, there were only a dozen women's clubs compared to thirty-three fraternities. But while the number of fraternities fell to just ten by 1945, women's clubs during the same period expanded to fifteen. Meanwhile, their annual activities, such as the Interclub Sing, Ball, and Rush, had become campus traditions.


page 3 of 6| « previous | next »
Home | The Faculty | The Quads | The City | The Presidents | Special Collections