Expanded and upgraded access to resources
We are pleased to announce that additional online book content in the HathiTrust collaborative collection of digitized books is now available to University of Chicago users. HathiTrust has turned on access for our users as part of their Emergency Temporary Access Service program. The Emergency Temporary Access program allows access to digitized books that are still in copyright if the Library holds a copy in print.
We are working to provide direct links via our catalog but meanwhile the books are already accessible via the HathiTrust site.
To use these materials, login using the LOG IN button on the right at the top of the page. Select the University of Chicago from the drop down menu and click Continue. You will see our standard authentication page where you login using your UChicago credentials. To limit to full text while performing a search,leave the “full view only” checkbox checked and any titles now available under this program will show the link: Temporary Access. Once you open a book, it is “checked out” to you for an hour and others will not be able to view it, unless we have more than one print copy.
This program is temporary and access is available only until the Library reopens.
In addition, and to help support online teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic, several publishers have also temporarily opened access to their content.
Step by Step Instructions
- Go to hathitrust.org. Click the “Log in” button on right side of the web page.
- Select “University of Chicago” from the drop-down menu. Click “Continue”.
- You will see our standard authentication page where you can login using your UChicago credentials (CNetID and password).
- Perform a search for a book. Limit to "Full View" under the Custom Filters column on the left. Titles now available under this program will show the link: “Temporary Access”
- Once you open a book, it is “checked out” to you for one hour and others will not be able to view it (unless we have more than one print copy in our collections). Our access is based on our actual print collection. Please "return" the online book after you check it out.