Open Access Week at the Library, Oct. 21-27
For this year's International Open Access Week, the University of Chicago Library is sponsoring a variety of programs, from introductory workshops to an in-depth faculty panel on how the scholarly publishing ecosystem is changing. Join us in learning about issues, challenges, and opportunities.
Tuesday, Oct. 22
3:30–5 p.m., Regenstein Library Room 122
High profit margins, funder’s mandates, pay to publish models, Elsevier cancellations, predatory journals. The scholarly publishing ecosystem is a topic of much debate as it faces unprecedented changes. How do we understand these changes, the forces at play, and how we can ensure sustainable models that support long-term access to scholarship?
As part of Open Access Week 2019, The Board of the Library is sponsoring a panel discussion to explore the challenges facing the university as costs continue to rise, and how changing incentives and publication practices affect faculty and students. Our distinguished panel will look at the changing scholarly publishing ecosystem from a variety of perspectives, including serving as an editor, promotion and tenure, navigating APC costs, library purchasing, choosing to publish open access.
- Mark Webster, Moderator, Chair of the Board of the Library; Associate Professor, Geophysical Sciences
- Brenda Johnson, University Librarian
- Samuel G. Armato, Associate Professor of Radiology
- Jane Dailey, Associate Professor of American History
- Melina Hale, Vice Provost for Academic Initiatives
William Rainey Harper Professor, Organismal Biology and Anatomy
- James Heckman, The Henry Schultz Distinguished Service Professor in Economics
- Cathy Pfister, Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolution
Open to the public.
Learn more about scholarly publishing and open access at workshops for the University of Chicago community held throughout the week.
- Open Legal Resources—Monday, Oct. 21, 2–3 p.m, Law School Classroom V
- Open Access 101—Tuesday, Oct. 22, 10–11 a.m., Regenstein Techb@r Studio
- Introduction to Open Data—Tuesday, Oct. 22, 11–12 p.m., Regenstein Techb@r Studio
- Journal Publishing & Open Access—Tuesday, Oct. 22, 12–1 p.m., Crerar Library Computer Classroom
- Know Your Rights! Understanding Author’s Rights—Wednesday, Oct. 23, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. Regenstein Techb@r Studio
- Publishing OA with OJS: Start your own OA Journal —Thursday, Oct. 24, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Regenstein Techb@r Studio
Click on workshop title links for more information and registration.
Friday, Oct. 25
12:30–2:00 p.m. Regenstein A-11
Bring your lunch and watch a documentary on the nature of scholarly publishing and the need for open access.
Come to the First Floor of Regenstein on Monday, Oct. 21 to talk with librarians and pick up information and OA swag