Plans for Autumn 2020 at the Library
As the beginning of Autumn Quarter approaches, the Library is making plans to welcome back faculty, students, and staff and reconnect them with Library collections and spaces in new ways that incorporate University practices that protect the health and well-being of both patrons and Library staff. Due to the ongoing need to limit the number of people in our spaces, the Library’s on-site services will be offered only to faculty, other academic appointees, students, and staff with a current UChicago ID.
These plans are pending approval from University leadership who will analyze them from a number of perspectives, including an epidemiology analysis and an assessment of space and ventilation issues.
The bookstacks will remain closed and the collections will continue to be accessible through Paging & Pickup and Scan & Deliver services, and the Library will be adding the following on-site services for a limited number of hours.
- Patrons will be able to book specific seats in the Library for quiet, individual study or for use of a computer workstation. Reservations will be available in half hour increments for up to 3 hours at these libraries:
- Regenstein and Mansueto: Beginning on September 29, Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Crerar: Beginning on September 29, Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- D’Angelo Law (UChicago Law faculty, students, and staff only): Starting on Monday, September 28 (times TBA).
- SSA (SSA faculty, students and staff only): Opening date and hours are being coordinated with the SSA.
- Materials that can only be consulted in the Library, such as rare books, archives, microfilm, and other mediated collections, will become available for use through pre-booked appointments.
- Consultation of materials from the Special Collections Research Center will be available by appointment only beginning October 8 on Thursdays from 10 a.m. to noon and on Fridays from noon to 2 p.m.
- Paging of microform and use of microform readers by appointment only will be added later in the quarter.
- Books will be able to be returned to Regenstein without an appointment during the hours that the Library is open starting September 29.
- Interlibrary Loan services will be expanded on September 29 to include requests for physical items, which will be available for pick up at Regenstein by appointment.
- Multi-function device printers will be available for use by patrons with study seat reservations in Regenstein beginning September 29.
Please be aware that study spaces for groups will not be available and that the Ex Libris space will be closed to patrons.
These on-site services will be offered in a phased approach. An initial pilot at the start of Autumn Quarter will allow us to assess demand and the effectiveness of our protocols. Our goal will be to expand the services (e.g. number/types of seats, hours, etc.) over time. We also stand ready to adapt, change or halt our in-person services and access to Library spaces as the campus or state situation changes.
The Techbar in Regenstein will not be open and equipment lending will not be available, but IT Services is providing Techbar consultations by phone. Visit https://its.uchicago.edu/techbar/ or call 773-702-3888.
In addition to these on-site services, the Library will continue to offer robust online services for research, teaching and learning, ranging from Ask a Librarian and consultation services to workshops and instruction to millions of e-resources.
We will publish additional information about offerings as it becomes available.