Update: The All Night Study is now closed
3/16/20 Update: The All Night Study is now closed. See our alert for more information about reduced hours and Library closures due to coronavirus.
The Mansueto Grand Reading Room will be open 24 hours a day from Wednesday, March 11 at 8 a.m. to Friday, March 20 at 10:45 p.m. in order to provide a quiet alternative to the All Night Study space in Regenstein during reading period and finals.
During the pilot, students will be able to choose between the 1st Floor of Regenstein, which is zoned for collaborative study, and Mansueto, which is designed for quiet, individual study. Library policies for both spaces will remain the same during All Night Study hours.
- Collaborative Zone – for working in groups or talking quietly with others
- Cell Phone Zone – talking on cell phones is permitted; keep ringers silent
- Snacks are permitted; meals and messy or smelly foods should be eaten in Ex Libris
- Quiet Zone – keep noise to a minimum
- No talking on cell phones is permitted; keep ringers silent
- No Food Zone – no food is permitted; covered drinks are allowed
The Library is offering this pilot in response to student requests for additional quiet study space during All Night Study hours, including in Library surveys. This pilot program is designed to test the option of providing a quiet space for students to study during reading period and finals, when demand for All Night Study is high.
Both All Night Study spaces are accessible only to current University of Chicago students, faculty, and staff. To be admitted to the All Night Study spaces after the buildings close, use Regenstein’s south entrance, and ring the doorbell to the right of the main revolving door. Be prepared to tap your UChicago Card at the entry gates as usual.
Updated 3/10 to reflect the closing of the Library survey.