Mansueto Circulation Services Supervisor
Requisition Number: 103581
Division: Collections and Access / Access Services / Mansueto Circulation
Reports to: Head of Mansueto Circulation
Work Schedule: 22 hours per week; Wednesday and Thursday, 8:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, 3:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
This position oversees the lending, re-shelving, and auditing of
materials from the Mansueto Library, as well as retrieval and scanning
of Mansueto materials for document delivery and scan on demand services,
and assists interlibrary loan in filling requests. This position also
is responsible for answering patron questions relating to Mansueto and
serving as a resource for other questions about Library services. During
evenings/weekends, this person acts as the supervisor in charge of the
Mansueto Library, oversees building security, and enforces policies for
maintaining a scholarly environment in the Library.
This position covers all circulation shifts as assigned, and is responsible for occasionally flexing the work schedule to cover other shifts as necessary. The expectation is that time off will be taken only during interim breaks, and the schedule will be flexible during interim breaks.
Mansueto Circulation typically remains open during weather-related closures of campus. This position, working with the Head of Mansueto Circulation, is responsible for making arrangements for coverage during inclement weather and is expected to be flexible in making staffing arrangements to keep Circulation open.
Essential FunctionsTrains, supervises, and assists with scheduling student counter attendants (approximately 20 part-time student employees). Distributes work to and monitors work done by student circulation attendants. May perform all circulation desk responsibilities as needed. Coaches and directs student circulation attendants in maintaining Mansueto policies and procedures and standards of service. Documents and updates Mansueto procedures.
Listens to patrons with special problems or complaints; attempts to resolve these problems. Interprets Library policies to patrons and refers patrons' concerns to the Head of Mansueto Circulation when appropriate. Troubleshoots Proven multi-functional devices. Gives tours of Mansueto and assist as needed.
Oversees the retrieval and scanning of Mansueto materials for document delivery, scan on demand services, and assists with requests for interlibrary loan.
During evenings/weekends, acts as supervisor in charge of the Mansueto Library, oversees building security, and acts as a resource person for other campus libraries. Enforces policies for maintaining a scholarly environment in the Library. Provides initial response to emergencies. Assists patrons in contacting University Police. Handles general inquires relating to building and security while on duty.
Provides initial troubleshooting of ASRS system problems and refers issues to facilities staff when appropriate. May perform basic daily checks of the cranes.
Works closely with the Head of Mansueto Circulation and other Mansueto Circulation Supervisors to ensure consistent services whenever Mansueto is open. Assists in formally documenting and reviewing the performance of student counter attendants.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of one (1) year of work experience in a library or equivalent environment required.
Significant customer service experience within a library, retail, or similar fast-paced environment required.
- Previous experience directing or supervising the work of others preferred.
- Ability to exercise good judgment consistent with Library policies, procedures, and service standards required.
- Ability to train, coach, and direct student circulation attendants in Library policies and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to manage and maintain
professional relationships, and interact with clarity, courtesy, and
tact with patrons, staff, students, faculty, and others, required.
- Ability to identify and resolve or refer problems required.
- Good organizational skills and strong attention to detail required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to manage time and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment required.
- Reliably able to work independently during evenings/weekends as the sole supervisor in a large academic library required.
- Strong knowledge of computer applications such as MS Office, email, and Internet required.
- Ability to quickly learn and master unique and complex software required.
- Knowledge of integrated library systems preferred.
To apply for this position submit your profile and required materials to https://jobopportunities.uchicago.edu. Resumes sent via mail, fax, or email will not be considered.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources by calling 773-834-1841 or by emailing email@example.com with their request.