Bookstacks Student Assistant
Title: Bookstacks Student Assistant
Division / Dept.: Access Serv - Coll Mgmt & Circ - Regenstein Stacks Students
Reports to: Lead Bookstacks Assistant
Work Schedule: Schedule set upon hire
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
The Bookstacks Shelving Assistant is responsible for sorting, shelving, and care of physical Regenstein Library collections, and for assisting patrons in finding books.
- Shelve materials in call number order on all floors of Library bookstacks.
- Shelve materials in call number order by floor in pre-shelving area and fill book trucks when shelving is full.
- Sweep library material to be reshelved from copier areas and study tables on all floors.
- Sort material by location.
- Push book trucks to various floors in stacks.
- Responsible for shelf reading and shifting of books where space is needed.
- Discharge books.
- Provide general direction/informational assistance.
- Refer problems to supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Chicago
- Knowledge of Library of Congress classification, and/or applicants with library experience, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English required.
- Ability to communicate with clarity, tact, and courtesy to patrons and Library staff required.
- Ability to pay attention to detail during repetitive tasks required.
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret call numbers and library catalog information required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently required.
- Ability to stand and walk for duration of work required.
- Ability to push book trucks, and to lift books required.
To Apply :
Interested candidates should apply online via our Library Student Employment Application. This position will remain open until filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at Library HR with their request