Dissertation Office Student Assistant
Title: Dissertation Office Student Assistant
Division / Dept.: IT and Digital Scholarship / Dissertation Office
Reports to: Colleen Mullarkey
Work Schedule: 12-15 hours per week on a fixed schedule
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
Under the direction of the full-time Dissertation Office Assistant, this position provides clerical and customer service support for the department.
- Reports to the Dissertation Office Assistant.
- Staffs the Dissertation Office, responding to directional/informational queries; refers problems to supervisor.
- Supports the office in auditing and processing dissertations using ProQuest ETD Administrator, a web-based dissertation submission system.
- Assists with maintenance of office documentation and provides clerical assistance as needed.
- Checks dissertations drafts for compliance with the University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D. Dissertation.
- Audits final dissertations for completeness and compliance with basic requirements (title page correct, table of contents accurate, etc.) to ensure that dissertation details are accurate and that dissertation conforms to the University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D. Dissertation.
- Searches library catalog and dissertation database.
- Updates documentation and web site on occasion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to handle confidential student information with discretion and maturity
- Ability to communicate in English with clarity, tact, and courtesy
- Keen attention to detail in performance of clerical and repetitive tasks
- General proficiency with computers (Microsoft Office, LaTeX, E-mail, library catalog and database searching, Zoom and/or Microsoft Teams)
- Some proofreading experience desirable
- Library experience preferred
Students interested in working for the library can apply online via our Library Student Employment Application.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at email@example.com with their request.