Maps Collection Student Assistant
Title: Maps Collection Student Assistant
Division / Dept. : Library R & L - Teaching and Research Support - Maps
Reports to: Assistant, Maps Collection
Work Schedule: Set upon hire
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
This position is responsible for assisting the Librarian and Map Assistant with several tasks, including:
- Filing maps, atlases, and reference materials
- Assisting users to locate maps in the catalog and in the Map Collection
- Searching for cataloging records on OCLC
- Downloading cataloging records
- Assisting in creating rough versions of new cataloging records
- Making map indexes
- Contributing to the Map Collection's map conservation efforts
- Reading and shifting map drawers and bookshelves
- Maintaining online guides
- Recording statistics
- Other duties as assigned
The exact proportions may vary according to the skills of the student.
- Cartographic and geographic knowledge required
- High degree of computer literacy required
- Ability to sustain close attention to detail required
- Ability to work independently required
- Related library work experience preferred
- Ability to work independently to a high standard of quality with appropriate use of supervisory support.
- Ability to learn complicated filing systems and to master complex cataloging rules.
- Ability to manage the filing and pulling of maps, which requires bending down and lifting large heavy objects
In the Resume field of the application, please indicate your interest in this specific position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at Library HR with their request.