Receiving and Rapid Cataloging Student Assistant
Title: Receiving and Rapid Cataloging Student Assistant
Division / Dept.: Access Serv - Coll Mgmt & Circ - Regenstein Stacks Students
Work Schedule: 10hrs/wk (Mon-Fri 8:30am- 5pm)
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
Work in the Receiving and Rapid Cataloging unit of the Acquisitions Section assisting with the receipt of monographic material in a variety of print and media formats and languages except for Chinese, Japanese and Korean. Performs routine workflows that help the Library get these resources into the library collection for patron use.
- Receiving monographs
- Accessioning gift materials
- Matching incoming monographs to existing OCLC records.
- Importing new bibliographic records
- Unpacking shipments and shelving unpacked material in proper processing queue
- Distributing bibliographic items according to Rapid Cataloging Criteria
- Participating in appropriate problem referral and resolution
- Data entry using Google Sheets, Excel, and FOLIO library system
- Other duties within the scope of departmental tasks as assigned
- Clerical accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work well independently
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Reading knowledge of at least one European foreign language (for example: French, Spanish, Italian, German etc.) preferred (not required)
To Apply :
Interested candidates should apply online via our Library Student Employment Application. This position will remain open until filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at Library HR with their request