Research and Learning Student Assistant
Title: Research and Learning Student Assistant
Division / Dept. : Research and Learning / Research and Teaching Support
Reports to: Head of Research and Instruction Services
Work Schedule: 10-15 hours per week between 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM Monday-Friday
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
This position will be staffing the welcome desk in the Librarians Suites (260 & 360). The employee will report to the Head of Research and Instruction Services, and will be responsible for a number of task.
- Greeting patrons who enter the Librarians Suite (260 or 360)
- Guiding patrons to librarians, services and spaces in Regenstein Library
- Providing assistance using Ask a Librarian and setting appointments with librarians
- Providing basic reference support such as directing patrons to Library Research Guides or looking for specific items in the Library Catalog
- Assisting patrons having trouble finding books in the stacks or reading rooms
- Helping patrons use equipment in the Library’s Microform Collection
- Checking the Library’s public computers & printers, reporting issues when needed
- Recording statistics on services provided to patrons for assessment purposes.
- Support promoting Library programming through posting signs, setting up program
registration, creating calendar entries, and submitting information to campus newsletters.
- Assists librarians with updating guides and websites, and supporting basic catalog and library database search projects.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Must be a Graduate Student
- Familiarity with University of Chicago Library services or spaces
- Library and/or customer service experience preferred
- Experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to work independently with a willingness to a reach out for assistance as needed
- Familiarity with citation tools (Zotero or Endnote) preferred.
Students interested in working for the library can apply online via our Library Student Employment Application. Candidates will be contacted via email for an interview.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at Library HR with their request.