Data Management Library Student Assistant
Title: Data Management Library Student Assistant
Division / Dept.: Collection Services / Technical Services-Data Management Services
Reports to: Data Management Services Supervisor
Work Schedule: 10-15 hrs/wk and 37.5 hrs/wk during Summer
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
Under supervision of the Data Management Services Supervisor and following unit guidelines and procedures, performs a range of library processes. The student will assist in the maintenance of the Library’s Kuali OLE database, including importing, exporting, deleting, and editing bibliographic and holdings data; problem resolution; and gathering statistics and data for special projects.
- Batch export, import, and edit bibliographic records using Kuali OLE and/or third-party editing tools in order to enhance, normalize, or add new data. (20%)
- Review and update bibliographic, holdings, and item records in OLE according to departmental guidelines and requirements. (60%)
- Perform other duties as assigned (20%)
- Student at the University of Chicago
- Basic computer literacy and familiarity with spreadsheet software.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Two years related experience or an equivalent combination of position-related experience and education preferred.
- Good knowledge of library procedures; some knowledge of related data processing procedures preferred.
- Experience with Access or other relational databases preferred.
- Experience with large and complex Excel spreadsheets preferred.
- Ability to deal with change to procedures and duties.
Must be able to work independently, sustain close attention to detail, use initiative and judgment to solve problems, interpret complex instructions, and exercise discretion in all duties. Must be able to work within the dynamic and changing framework of current and future library practices.
- Must be able to sit for hours at a time
- Must be able to use computer and monitor for hours at a time.
To Apply :
Interested candidates should apply online via our Library Student Employment Application. This position will remain open until filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at Library HR with their request