Crerar Historical Collection Preservation Student Assistant
Title: Crerar Historical Collection Preservation Student Assistant
Division / Dept.: Collection Services / Conservation
Reports to: Senior Conservator
Work Schedule: 10 hrs/wk
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
As a member of the Preservation Department, the CHC Preservation Student Assistant will identify eligible materials in the Crerar Historical Collection and place them in protective enclosures. This project will last approximately one year, though it may be extended.
- Select items for Preservation housing based on specified parameters.
- Select appropriate protective enclosures for eligible materials and carries out the appropriate housing and labeling.
- Maintain a list of items for future Preservation housing.
- Assist with lab administrative and maintenance tasks such as charging materials held in the department, data entry for treatment statistics and collection surveys, bibliographic searching, and workroom maintenance.
- Assist with disaster response and other duties as required.
- Demonstrated good manual dexterity.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to keep an organized and tidy work area.
- Takes good direction and works well independently.
- Sensitivity to and experience with handling fragile library materials.
- Must be able to accurately perform repetitive tasks.
- Basic competency with computers; word processing and database software.
Ability to perform duties that require consistent physical activity and mobility.
To Apply :
Interested candidates should apply online via our Library Student Employment Application. This position will remain open until filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at Library HR with their request