Student Digitization Assistant
Title: Student Digitization Assistant
Division / Dept. : Center for Digital Scholarship- IT & Digital Scholarship
Reports to: Director of Digital Scholarship
Student positions at the University of Chicago Library are available only to University of Chicago students.
The University of Chicago Library supports research projects by facilitating the digitization of physical material. The Student Digitization Assistant will work closely with the Center for Digital Scholarship staff to support researchers in the use of Library equipment to scan material using a variety of scanner types. Digitization support may include use of the following equipment types: overhead and flatbed scanners, microform scanners, and audio equipment such as turntables and reel-to-reel players, in addition to others.
- Set up digitization equipment for patron use
- Demonstrate to patrons how to use digitization equipment
- Maintain equipment according to established procedures
- Document digitization and maintenance workflows
- Communicate problems regarding equipment or the service to staff
- Scan a variety of original materials following set standards
- There will be other assignments made from time to time as needed, such as reviewing and updating guides and website information.
- Familiarity with Windows 10 in a PC network environment
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently within a team framework
- Ability to understand technical concepts
- Ability to move loaded book trucks
- Must have good communication skills
- Good organizational skills and high-level attention to detail
- Sensitivity to handling issues of rare and fragile library materials
Students interested in working for the library can apply online via our Library Student Employment Application.
Please contact Cecilia Smith, Director of Digital Scholarship at email@example.com once you have completed the employment application.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with their request.