Policy on Reserved Study Seats at the University of Chicago Library
Below are the policies governing the reservation and use of study seats at Regenstein, Mansueto, and Crerar.
Be advised, if you are coming for a research appointment, there may be additional conditions that will be sent to you separately.
Visit Book a Seat to make a seat reservation.
- Reservations must be placed at least 12 hours in advance, and reservations are required for admittance to the building.
- Study seats may be reserved in half-hour increments for sessions lasting between 1 and 3 hours.
- You may reserve one seat per day, up to seven days in advance.
- You must bring your UChicago Card and proof of reservation to be admitted.
The expectations for patrons in order for us to sustain this service are below.
1) Follow the Campus Guidelines – the University Community Care and Health Pact.
- Wear a face covering at all times, remain socially distanced from other patrons, and practice frequent hand-washing.
- Clean your reserved seat, including the table and any equipment, at the start and end of your reservation. Cleaning stations are available on each floor.
- We allow covered beverages that can be consumed without removing masks entirely. This includes water, coffee and tea.
2) Maintain a scholarly environment
- The library study spaces are currently for quiet, individual study only. Cell phone and video conferencing conversations are not permitted, except in designated "Zoom Seats" with a reservation (see below).
- We ask that you remain in your reserved seat when not visiting designated patron restrooms, accessing drinking fountains, accessing a printer, or exiting/entering for a break outside.
- Seats marked “unavailable” are to remain empty – the seating is specially designed to ensure patron distance of 8 feet or more, and oriented in the same direction.
- “Group study” rooms will be closed for reservation by individual use for the initial pilot.
- The bookstacks are closed. There is no entry to bookstacks or areas where you do not have a reserved seat.
- Follow all signs posted and instructions.
- By entering the library, you agree to show an ID when asked by a staff member or a compliance monitor to do so.
- Please enter and exit during your appointment times. Reservations have a short buffer between them to give you time to clean before and after your appointment, but we rely on your keeping track of your time.
Zoom Seats Policies
Zoom Seats are designed for patrons who need to attend a class or meeting via Zoom or similar video conferencing platform.
All reservation and use policies for study seats apply to Zoom Seats, with the following exceptions:
- Quiet conversation via cell phone or video conferencing is allowed.
- Be respectful of others by speaking with a moderate volume.
- A face covering must still be worn at all times.
- In person conversation and group work with others is not permitted.
- Headphones must be used at all times to listen to class or meeting audio.
We thank you for your attention to these guidelines for library entry for the Autumn Quarter, and we look forward to your visit.