University Archives Fellow
Title: University Archives Fellow
Division/Department: Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
Reports to: Assistant University Archivist, Special Collections
Archives today are a rapidly expanding field with increasingly broad responsibility for preserving and making accessible unique materials in all formats – traditional paper documents, photographs, and analog recordings, as well as a growing array of digital content: email, databases, digital images, audio and video media, and web sites.
The Special Collections Archives Fellow develops skills and expertise in all these areas while contributing to the programs and services of the University of Chicago Archives. The Archives Fellow builds a broad base of knowledge across all aspects of archival practice, from building of collections to creation of access tools, working with original manuscript materials as well as unique digital and online content. This experience will complement and strengthen the Fellow’s research skills.
The University of Chicago Archives documents the history of the University of Chicago, the work of its faculty, and the life of the academic community. The University Archives documents history and development of the University of Chicago in all formats, analog and digital, including records of administrative and academic units; papers of University faculty members, trustees, administrators, students, and alumni; campus publications; images; video and audio media; digital content; and online resources related to the University’s distinctive intellectual work and academic community.
While initial appointment is for a single academic quarter, reappointment for additional quarters and/or summer term is anticipated for the successful fellow.
Specific activities will vary according to fellow’s skills and interests, but may include:
- Support and enhance University Archives collection acquisition program for analog and digital materials
- Support and enhance University Archives collection accessioning program for analog and digital materials
- Support and enhance University Archives collection processing program for analog and digital materials
- Prepare University Archives metadata and data documentation
- Edit University Archives metadata and data documentation
- Coordinate University Archives metadata for EAD markup and web presentation
- Participate in meetings and activities relating to the University Archives
- Enrolled in a UChicago graduate program and in good academic standing during the period of the fellowship
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools
- Familiarity with use of original research materials
- Ability to prioritize archival tasks in accordance with established standards, processes, and criteria
- Strong written and oral communication skills
Hours and Schedule: Approximately 15 hours per week
Stipend: $3300 per academic quarter
Start Date: Winter 2019
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter highlighting interest in the fellowship and relevant background experience to Eileen Ielmini, Assistant University Archivist, email@example.com. The opportunity will remain open until filled.