All Library Buildings Currently Closed; Online Services Continue
Visit the University’s coronavirus updates page for the latest University of Chicago information.
The University of Chicago Library is providing online services while our buildings are closed to help with your teaching, research, and learning.
As the Provost has noted, “in mid-March, most on-campus research and scholarly activities were suspended as part of the local and global efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect all members of our campus community.” The Library is represented on several University committees planning for the resumption of programs and operations on campus and communicating with other campus groups and leaders as we develop plans for a phased resumption of research activities involving Library buildings. We will update this space with additional information as it becomes available.
The Library knows how important our spaces, services, and collections are to research, teaching, and learning at the University, and therefore, we understand that the community is deeply affected by this closure. Please know:
- We continue to offer expert online reference, consultations, and library instruction to University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff.
- We are working on other service innovations to support the University of Chicago community and will continue to provide you with news about our evolving services.
- The Library continues to provide course reserves in support of remote learning.
Extended Due Dates and Suspended Fines for Physical Materials
- All overdue fines suspended: The Library is temporarily suspending all overdue fines as part of our ongoing response to the coronavirus. All Library items, including Interlibrary Loan, reserve material, and recalled items will not be charged overdue fines when returned after the Library reopens.
- The Library will not be preventing anyone from graduating at the end of Spring Quarter 2020.
- Do not return items by mail at this time. We do not know what will happen to packages sent to the Library at this time.
- For University of Chicago faculty: Items currently checked out for a full year will be due May 1, 2021.
- For University of Chicago students, staff, and most other borrowers: Items currently checked out for the entire quarter will be due October 2, 2020.
- Interlibrary Loan and all other items currently checked out on shorter-term loans will now be due October 2, 2020.