All Library Buildings Currently Closed; Online Services Continue
Visit the University’s coronavirus updates page for the latest University of Chicago information.
The University of Chicago Library is providing online services while our buildings are closed to help with your teaching, research, and learning.
Illinois Governor JB Pritzker issued a statewide ‘stay at home’ order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, beginning at 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 21. We are therefore closing our Library buildings to all patrons during the “stay at home order.” Additionally, the campus is limiting building access to essential personnel.
The Library knows how important our spaces, services, and collections are to research, teaching, and learning at the University, and therefore, we understand that the community will be deeply affected by this closure. Please know:
- We will continue to offer expert online reference, consultations, and library instruction to University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff.
- We are working on other service innovations to support the University of Chicago community as we move to online coursework in the spring and look forward to providing you with news about our evolving services in the coming weeks.
- The Library is doing its best to provide online course reserves in preparation for Spring Quarter remote learning.
Extended Due Dates and Suspended Fines for Physical Materials
- All overdue fines suspended: The Library is temporarily suspending all overdue fines as part of our ongoing response to the coronavirus. All Library items, including Interlibrary Loan, reserve material, and recalled items will not be charged overdue fines when returned after the Library reopens.
- Do not return items by mail at this time. We do not know what will happen to packages sent to the Library at this time.
- For University of Chicago faculty: Items currently checked out for a full year will be due May 1, 2021.
- For University of Chicago students, staff, and most other borrowers: Items currently checked out for the entire quarter will be due October 2, 2020.
- Interlibrary Loan items currently checked out with due dates between March 10, 2020, and June 14, 2020, will now be due June 15, 2020.