Members of the Public

The University of Chicago Library offers access to its campus libraries only to members of the public with a legitimate research need to consult our collections. Members of the public must establish their research need with the Library in order to be granted access. Researchers affiliated with another university should consult our information on faculty, students, staff  from other institutions.

We expect all users to abide by the policies and principles expressed in the Library's statement of User Rights and Responsibilities for Creating and Sustaining a Scholarly Environment. All Library users are also responsible for providing current personal contact information

We are committed to providing access to both our physical and electronic resources to users with disabilities; for more information see Services for Users with Disabilities.

Members of the Public Living Within the Chicago Area

In order to access our collections, members of the public living within 60 miles of the University of Chicago must present a valid InfoPass and a valid government issued ID to the ID & Privileges Office in the lobby of the Joseph Regenstein Library to obtain up to five free Day Passes.

The John Crerar Library does not require members of the public to obtain an InfoPass but has its own distinct policies governing visitor access. For more information, see Visiting Crerar.

In addition to welcoming members of the public with an InfoPass, the D'Angelo Law Library offers access to attorneys. For more information, see Access to the D'Angelo Law Library.


The InfoPass System operates in the Chicago metropolitan area. A reference librarian from another library must certify eligibility and need before the InfoPass will be issued.

For purposes of access to the University of Chicago Library, an InfoPass will only be granted if the University of Chicago Library is the only Chicago area library owning the materials.

For more information on the InfoPass system, please contact a librarian at your local library.

Members of the Public Living Outside the Chicago Area

Members of the public living more than 60 miles away from the University of Chicago will be granted up to five free Day Passes per University quarter. A valid drivers license or other government issued photo ID must be presented to the ID & Privileges Office in Regenstein Library to obtain a day pass.

Extended Scholarly Research

Members of the public who wish to conduct extended research using the University of Chicago Library collections may apply for extended privileges by emailing a statement of purpose to or by mailing a written statement of purpose to the ID & Privileges Office.

If the Library approves the request, the person may purchase Access Privileges for $100 per quarter.

Researchers must bring a current photo ID to the ID & Privileges Office in order to establish extended scholarly research privileges.

U.S. Government Documents

The University of Chicago Library is a depository for U.S. government publications. Depository documents may be consulted by the public. Most government documents are classified and shelved, by subject, in the general collection of the relevant library unit. Please see below for building access information.

  • To access government documents belonging to the Joseph Regenstein Library, please visit the ID & Privileges Office.
  • To access government documents belonging to the D'Angelo Law Library, please visit D'Angelo Monday - Friday, 8:30 A.M. - 5:00 P.M
  • To access government documents belonging to the John Crerar Library, please visit during the the visitor hours listed on our library hours page. See Visiting Crerar for more information.

To request access at times other than those listed, or to find out if the Library holds the documents you wish to consult, contact us via Ask A Librarian.

Other Depository Libraries: If the University of Chicago Library does not hold the documents you need, you may want to consult other depositories in the state of Illinois. The GPO maintains a page to locate Federal Depository libraries.

Guide to Government Documents at the University of Chicago Library

Accessing Electronic Resources

Visitors may access the Library’s electronic resources only while in Library buildings, due to site licensing agreements.

While in Library buildings, visitors may use Library computers or the Library’s wireless network to access electronic resources and networked printing. For more information, see Computers and Wireless.

Interlibrary Loan

Businesses and non-profit organizations can borrow items and purchase photocopies through a cost recovery, fee-based service offered by our Interlibrary Loan Department.