Paging & Pickup
The Library is introducing a Paging & Pickup service while our spaces remain closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Current University of Chicago faculty, other academic appointees, postdocs, students, and staff may request Library materials be paged via the Library Catalog, and then make an appointment to pick up available items from the outer lobby of Regenstein.
During this initial phase of on-site operations, patrons will not have access to the stacks or anywhere beyond the outer lobby.
How many items can I request for pickup? How quickly will items be available?
Patrons will be able to request 200 items per quarter through the Library Catalog, and the Library will fill five requests per patron per day.
Our goal is to make materials available within three business days.
What items are eligible for paging?
Items from the circulating collections of Crerar, Eckhart, Mansueto, and Regenstein are eligible for Paging & Pickup at Regenstein. The service will expand to other locations when possible.
Items available online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service will not be eligible for physical paging so that the Library can continue to provide online access.
How do I submit a paging request?
- Find the material you want paged in the Library Catalog.
- Under Availability in the full record, select the "Request for Pickup at Regenstein" link.
- Login with your CNetID and password.
- Select the "Submit Request" button.
You will receive an email notification when items are available, including a link to reserve a time to pick up materials from the outer lobby of Regenstein.
How do I pick up materials from Regenstein once they're available?
To enhance the safety of this process, items will be checked out to patrons by staff before pickup.
- Click on the link in your email notification to reserve a 30-minute time slot to pick up materials from the outer lobby of Regenstein.
- At your reserved time, wear a mask and observe social distancing at all times.
- Bring your UChicago Card and be prepared to display it to Library staff when picking up material.
You will only be allowed in the outer lobby of Regenstein in order to pick up requested material. No other areas of the building will be accessible.
You will not be able to return Library items when picking up books. Patrons permanently leaving the University may register for a 30-minute time slot to return Library materials.
More details about procedures for pickup will be sent to you when you reserve a pickup time.