The Botanical Gazette
Professor Coulter founded The Botanical Gazette in 1875 and was its editor for fifty years, until 1926. Even after retiring, he continued to contribute and help with the editing. The University of Chicago assumed ownership and financial responsibility for the journal in March 1896 and it has since been published by the University of Chicago Press. Its editor has always been a member of the University of Chicago Botany department faculty. In 1991, after 116 years of publication, the Gazette underwent a name change to reflect the now global reach of the journal, assuming the title International Journal of Plant Sciences.