Kent Chemical Laboratory
Temporary quarters for the Department of Chemistry were rented above the stores at 55th and Ellis Avenue from 1892-1894. A gift of $125,000 to construct a laboratory, supplemented by $25,000 additional funding for a lecture theater (still in use for chemistry courses today) allowed construction of a building dedicated to chemical research and teaching. Completed in 1894, the Kent Chemical Laboratory was for its time an ultramodern and well equipped facility. The building contained both research and teaching facilities, as well as housing the chemistry library reading room until the construction of the George Herbert Jones Laboratory in the 1920's.
From the Photographic Archive, Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library. Available at: http://photoarchive.lib.uchicago.edu/. Identifier: apf2-04685