Local Hospital Affiliations
The University of Chicago, like all academic medical centers, has formed affiliations with many hospitals and medical centers in the area since it first developed its medical school in 1898. These alliances expand clinical training as well as medical education, enhance and build on academic strengths and expand the reach of the faculty and facilities.
Once Albert Merritt Billings Hospital opened in 1927, students could do all four years of medical school, specifically their clinical training, on the campus. By 1941 the arrangement with Rush had been formally severed. From 1947-1967, all clinical training took place on the University of Chicago campus. A formal affiliation with the now closed Michael Reese Hospital was the first in a long series of academic affiliations.
In 1967 the University developed its strong affiliation with Michael Reese located at 31st Street and Cottage Grove Avenue. The relationship lasted until 1980 at which time the University of Chicago Hospitals developed a formal affiliation with Louis A. Weiss Hospital on the North Side of Chicago at Marine Drive and Wilson Avenue. The medical school and medical center have a complex array of connections at the departmental, sectional and even the hospital level. Student and resident from University have rotated through a variety of facilities some of the more familiar include the Hyde Park Hospital on Stony Island Avenue near 58th Street (formerly the Illinois Central Railroad Hospital and then Doctors Hospital), Mercy Hospital at 26th Street and Michigan Avenue and currently our North Shore University hospital in Evanston (formerly Evanston Hospital).