PDF | XML

University of Chicago Library

Guide to the Country Home for Convalescent Children, Board of Trustees Records 1921-1961

© 2016 University of Chicago Library

Descriptive Summary

Title:

Country Home for Convalescent Children. Board of Trustees. Records

Dates:

1921-1961

Size:

0.25 linear feet (1 box)

Repository:

Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.

Abstract:

The Country Home for Convalescent Children (CHCC) was founded in 1911 as the Country Home for Crippled Children. Supported largely by donations and endowments, the CHCC provided care, cures, and education to disabled children. The CHCC Collection contains minutes from the Board of Trustees, dating from 1921 to 1961, and two booklets of annual reports, dating from 1922-1928.

Information on Use

Access

The collection is open for research.

Citation

When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Country Home for Convalescent Children. Board of Trustees. Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library

Historical Note

The Country Home for Convalescent Children (CHCC) was opened on July 10, 1911 as the Country Home for Crippled Children in Prince Crossing, Illinois. It was founded as a sister branch to the Home for Destitute Crippled Children, located in Chicago, though it quickly became a separate institution. The CHCC was affiliated with Rush Medical College.

While the receiving age for children attending the institution was limited – between four and fourteen – those who did come to CHCC were able to stay, free of charge, for as long as necessary. When discharged, the CHCC also performed investigations of the home-life of the children to ensure that their arrangement would not be a further detriment to their health. Because of this deep and continuing involvement with the children under its care, the CHCC quickly gained attention and drew large and numerous donations to maintain its operation.

In 1931, the University of Chicago became trustee for the CHCC.

Scope Note

The collection contains annual reports of the Board of Trustees for 1922 to 1928, in two volumes. Also included are two sets of Minutes, one dating from 1921 to 1953, and the second from 1927 to 1961. The minutes largely duplicate one another for the overlapping years. The minutes document the financial and administrative affairs of the CCHC, particularly in relation to staffing, provision of supplies, and its relationship with the University of Chicago.

Related Resources

Browse finding aids by topic.

Subject Headings

INVENTORY

Box 1   Folder 1

Annual Reports, 1922-1928

Box 1   Folder 2

Minutes, Board of Trustees, 1921-1927

Box 1   Folder 3

Minutes, Board of Trustees, May 10, 1928 – Feb. 1, 1929

Box 1   Folder 4

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Feb. 21, 1930 – Nov. 15, 1939

Box 1   Folder 5

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Nov. 20, 1940 – Dec. 2, 1949

Box 1   Folder 6

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Nov. 15, 1950 – Dec. 3, 1953

Box 1   Folder 7

Minutes, Board of Trustees, June 18, 1927 – Nov. 20, 1929

Box 1   Folder 8

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Feb. 21, 1930 – Nov. 15, 1939

Box 1   Folder 9

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Nov. 20, 1940 – Dec. 2, 1949

Box 1   Folder 10

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Nov. 15, 1950 – Nov. 18, 1959

Box 1   Folder 11

Minutes, Board of Trustees, Nov. 16, 1960 – Nov. 15, 1961