© 2009 University of Chicago Library
Farr, Shirley. Papers
0.2 linear feet (2 folders)
Special Collections Research Center
Shirley Farr, student, faculty instructor, donor. The Shirley Farr Papers consist of a letter from Daisy E. Wood to the residents of Beecher Hall at the University of Chicago (1904); copy of The College Girls' Record, annotated by Farr; and photographs.
The collection is open for research.
Original documents, texts, and images represented by digital images linked to this finding aid are subject to U. S. copyright law. It is the user's sole responsibility to secure any necessary copyright permission to reproduce or publish documents, texts, and images from any holders of rights in the original materials.
The University of Chicago Library, in its capacity as owner of the physical property represented by the digital images linked to this finding aid, encourages the use of these materials for educational and scholarly purposes. Any reproduction or publication from these digital images requires that the following credit line be included: Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library.
The images presented here may include materials reflecting the attitudes, language, and stereotypes of an earlier time period. These materials are presented as historical resources in support of study and research. Inclusion of such materials does not constitute an endorsement of their content by the University of Chicago.
The University of Chicago Library appreciates hearing from anyone who may have information about any of the images in this collection.
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Farr, Shirley. Papers, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
Shirley Farr was born in 1851. A member of a prominent Chicago family, she received a Ph.B in 1904 from the University of Chicago. While a student Farr lived in Beecher Hall and was a member of the Women Students Christian League. After graduation, Farr served as an associate professor of history and French at Ripon College, where she later accepted a position on the board of trustees and became a major donor. Farr served as an assistant in history (1914-1917), a half-time Instructor in History (1929-1934), and a departmental counselor (1929-1934) at the University of Chicago.
Farr contributed a great deal of money to the University of Chicago, including a gift of $1,000 annually for five years for the purchase of manuscripts for the Library beginning in 1924. In 1929, Farr contributed gifts amounting to $14,500 to establish an endowment for the Cleo Hearon Fellowship in History. In the same year, Farr provided the first of many gifts that would total $25,000 in support of the University's general development fund. She made other donations in support of causes as diverse as the William Rainey Harper Memorial Library Fund, the Medical School, the Quadrangle Club, the Institute of Sacred Literature, the School of Social Service Administration, and the Law School, where she contributed to the James Parker Hall Professorship endowment. By 1939, when the Board of Trustees took special note of her cumulative contributions, she had donated more than $62,000 to the University of Chicago.
Farr lobbied for the greater recognition of the female donors of the University and she also served as a member of the Board of Alumni Relations.
Shirley Farr died in 1957.
The Shirley Farr Papers consist of a letter from Daisy E. Wood to the residents of Beecher Hall at the University of Chicago (1904); copy of The College Girls' Record, annotated by Farr; and photographs.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
|Box 1 Folder 1|
The College Girls' Record (San Francisco: Paul Elder and Company, 1903), with annotations by Shirley Farr (Ph.B. 1904), and pasted-in photographs of faculty members and Beecher Hall
|Box 1 Folder 2|
Correspondence and photographs