© 2016 University of Chicago Library
Juxon, William. Collection
0.25 linear feet (1 box)
Special Collections Research Center
William Juxon (1582 –1663) Archbishop of Canterbury (1660-1663) and Lord High Treasurer of England. Collection includes two letters written by Juxon and one legal document, all dating from 1637 to 1639, during Juxon’s service as Bishop of London.
The collection is open for research.
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Juxon, William. Collection, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
William Juxon was born in Chichester in 1582 to Robert Juxon. He was educated at the Prebendal School, the local grammar school. Juxon continued his education at Merchant Taylor’s School and St. John’s College at Oxford. Though he studied law, Juxon took his holy orders after his schooling and became vicar of St. Giles’ Church, Oxford. Juxon held a number of roles before his ascension to Bishop of London, including President of St. John’s College, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford, and Lord High Treasurer of England. Juxon was the last English clergyman to hold both secular and clerical offices in the tradition of clerical state service.
In October 1633, Juxon was consecrated Bishop of London, following his predecessor, William Laud. Juxon was largely a successful bishop, gaining the high praise of the king, Charles I. During his execution as a result of the English Civil War, Charles even requested that Juxon accompany him to the scaffolding and deliver his last rights. Upon the restoration of Charles II, after his exile, Juxon was named Archbishop of Canterbury on September 2, 1660. Juxon officially took the office and was enthroned at Conterbury on September 25. Shortly after his appointment, Juxon’s health began to fail. He died at Lambeth in 1663.
The William Juxon collection contained two letters, one in two copies, and a legal document. These items range from 1637 to 1639 and are arranged chronologically.
The collection was previously part of the Miscellaneous Manuscripts Collection.
|Box 1 Folder 1|
|Box 1 Folder 2|
Legal Document, October 16, 1637