© 2006 University of Chicago Library
Northwestern Baptist Education Society of Chicago. Records
2.5 linear feet (3 boxes)
Special Collections Research Center
The Northwest Baptist Education Society was incorporated in 1876 with the purpose of providing financial aid to deserving students studying for the ministry while attending a Baptist college or seminary in the West. The administration of the Society was taken over by the University of Chicago Divinity School in 1912. The records contain reports, minutes and account books.
When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: Northwestern Baptist Education Society of Chicago. Records, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
The first meeting of what was to become the Northwestern Baptist Education Society was held on September 14, 1891, at 7 Custom House Place, Chicago. "The Joint Committee of the Trustees of the University of Chicago and the Theological Union" met "in response to a communication of the Ladies' Baptist Education Society." The purpose of the meeting was stated to be to form "one ministerial society, to take the place of the different organizations now working for the same end in this field," and to harmonize "interests now to some extent conflicting," and to afford "the necessary aid to students for the ministry in the Northwestern States."
Before the Society was fairly in working order, however, the Great Fire disorganized every plan that had been made and for the time put out of sight the work and needs of the Society. During the next few years the Executive Committee met more or less regularly and handled the business of the Society.
The Society had, since its founding, received the sum of $14,326.89 from fifteen states. The state conventions of Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin had by this time taken official action guaranteeing cooperation with the Society and on November 18, 1876 the Society was incorporated under the general laws of Illinois. Thomas W. Goodspeed was secretary from 1876 until he resigned in 1889 to raise funds for the new University of Chicago.
The last meeting of the Society was held in the office of Dean Mathews on May 8, 1925.
The Records is primarily minutes of organizational meetings and the account and record books of the organization. The scope of the papers runs the length of the life of the organization.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
|Box 1 Folder 1|
Minutes and Reports of the Northwestern Baptist Education Society, 1871-1925.
|Box 1 Folder 2|
Account and Record Books, ca. 1860 - 1901.
|Box 1 Folder 3|
Account and Record Books, ca. 1871 - 1879.
|Box 2 Folder 1|
Account and Record Books, 1871 - 1902
|Box 2 Folder 2|
Account and Record Books, 1884 - 1895
|Box 2 Folder 3|
Account and Record Books, 1895 - 1910
|Box 3 Folder 1|
Account and Record Books, 1905-1912
|Box 3 Folder 2|
Account and Record Books, 1912-1924