I. Step-by-step instructions for setting up new databases
You will need an account on daia and enlil, which are both Library servers, and you will need to be added to group ets. Contact Catherine Mardikes, email c-mardikes, if this is not the case.
- ssh to daia.lib.uchicago.edu
- At the bash prompt enter
- Use the mkdir command to create the new directory (e.g., mkdir AAP). We prefer directories for new databases to be in uppercase.
- To make the directory ets-group writable, enter chgrp ets directoryname and then enter chmod g+ws directoryname.
- Enter cd directoryname to go into the new directory you have created.
- Move the following database templates from the /EFTS_Templates/ directory into this new database directory:
- Change the name of homepage.html to index.html. To do this enter mv homepage.html index.html
- Change the name of the bibliography file from DATABASE_ABBREV.bib.html to, for example, AAP.bib.html. To do this type mv DATABASE_ABBREV.bib.html AAP.bib.html
- Also the database image lives in this directory. It should be a small square image named DATABASE_ABBREV.jpg, where DATABASE_ABBREV is replaced by the abbreviation you are using for the database. It should be the same as the directory name.
- Next create a restricted sub-directory. Make sure you are in the newly created directory and then enter mkdir restricted
- Move the following database templates from the /EFTS_Templates/ directory into the new /restricted/ directory
- It is now time to edit the html template files in the directory and sub-directory. ARTFL students tend to use vi, but ETS assistants prefer emacs. To call up a file to edit under emacs go into the directory where the file resides. At the bash prompt type emacs filename
II. Editing the individual pages
Steps are given in order of the html code in the files. If a database is not from Chadwyck-Healey, one must edit that material out. The steps below assume CH databases.
1. Filename: index.html
- Edit the following tag at the top: <TITLE>DATABASE_TITLE</TITLE>
- Change the name of the image "DATABASE_ABBREV.jpg" to its proper name.
- Add the title in this bit: <i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Change the filename in the following: href="DATABASE_ABBREV.bib.html">Bibliography
- Find the proper url for the more about link. Edit it here: href="http://www.chadwyck.com/products/viewproduct.asp?key=DATEBASE_NUMBER">More
about the Database
- Add the Chadwyck-Healey Editorial Statement: text. Be sure to italicize the database title.
- Edit the following: SEARCH</a> <i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Edit the following: The PhiloLogic implementation of <i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Get the appropriate numbers from Mark or Charles to fill in this section: DATABASE_NUMBER words, DATABASE_NUMBER unique forms, in DATABASE_NUMBER works
- Check to make sure the link for access control is appropriate. You should check with Catherine Mardikes. If it is not, edit the url in this bit: "http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/efts/ARTFL/philologic/manual.html#7.1">Access Control
2. Filename: renamed DATABASE_ABBREV.bib.html
- Add title to this: <TITLE>DATABASE_TITLE: Bibliography</TITLE>
- Add title in here: color="#800000"><i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Ask Charles or Mark to add the Bibliography, sorted by Author/Title, where it says INSERT_BIBLIOGRAPHY_HERE
3. Filename: search.form.html
- Add title here: <TITLE>DATABASE_TITLE: Search-Form</TITLE>
- Add teh correct name fo the image: "../DATABASE_ABBREV.jpg"
- Add title here too: #800000"><i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Put in the correct link to the Bibliography: href="../DATABASE_ABBREV.bib.html">
- Check with Mark or Charles if duras is correct or if it is colet for this :
- Fill in DATABASE_EXAMPLE for fields.
- Add new fields such as genre, by copying and editing another field.
- Change these examples to fit the database: <tt>crown|scepter</tt> or <tt>holy ghost|spirit</tt>
- Change this to an appropriate example: <tt>widow.*</tt> retrieves widow,
widows, widowhood, etc.)
- Change to good example. Make sure it doesn't bring up hundreds of occurrences: <tt>fickle</tt>
- Is D. Frequency by Author appropriate? If not, strip it out.
- This must be edited. Talk to Mark or Charles. VALUE="/projects/artfl3/bibliopolis/databases/DATABASE_ABBREV/IMAGE/">
- Edit: Bibliographic Searching: Author and Title
- Edit Bibliographic Searching:Date. fill in XXXX with dates.
- Add section on genre with genre codes in a table if they exist.
- Edit Orthographic Considerations:
- Edit Data-Entry Idiosyncrasies: Change examples to fit.
- Change all-powerful and all powerful to an example from the database.
- Change emily's and "Emily's" to something appropriate. French, Italian, and Spanish databases must have a different write up since we add a space after apostrophes. Go to a Bibliopolis database for this. Be sure to change the example.
- Is there Greek? Leave if yes; strip it if no.
- Under Notes, make sure they exist. If they do not, strip it and write "There are no notes in this database.
- Under Images, make sure they exist. If they do not, strip it and write "There are no images in this database.
- Add title here: Please check the <i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
4. Filename: demoscripts.html
- Add the database name here: <TITLE>DATABASE_TITLE: Sample Searches</TITLE>
- Add title here: "#800000"><i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Replace <tt>Mansfield Park</tt> with title from the database that has nice document definition (h1s and h2s and preferrably h3s). change it in the second place under "Retrieving Documents and Limiting a
- Change "scruples" to a word from the database. run the search to make sure it doesn't pull up hundreds of occurrences.
- Fill in the all the Xs with appropriate examples from the new database.
- Replace all the following with similar examples drawn from the database.
- loyal|faithful servant
- false promise.*
- If there are images in the database, strip out: There are no images in the database. <br>or<br> If there are no images strip out the bit including and following <br>or<br>
- If there are notes in the database strip out: There are no notes in the database.
<br>or<br> If there are no notes strip out the bit including and following <br>or<br>
5. Filename: errata_public.html
- Add the title here: <TITLE>DATABASE_TITLE: Errata</TITLE>
- Add the title here too: "#800000"><i>DATABASE_TITLE</i>
- Fill in the current date here: (MONTH/DAY/00)
- Add examples where they are asked for.
- Remove sections that do not apply for this database.
- Add new sections that are needed, using the formatting style in the html.