The Library is Ready to Help During COVID-19
The Library is online and ready to help. We are here to help with your teaching, research, and learning. Our expert staff are available to work with you, and millions of resources from our collection are available to the University of Chicago community online. Paging & Pickup and Scan & Deliver are operating on-site.
Although our buildings are currently closed as a result of the COVID-19 emergency, the Library is making plans to open for limited use at the beginning of the Autumn Quarter.
- Plans for Autumn 2020 at the Library (September 15, 2020)
- For faculty and instructors: Library teaching and learning is online for Autum Quarter (August 4, 2020). Learn more about how we can help you to prepare for Autumn Quarter with offerings such as course reserves, Library instruction, Special Collections, and digital scholarship for teaching.
- Paging and Scan & Deliver expand to include D’Angelo Law and SSA libraries (July 13, 2020)
The Library is represented on several University committees planning for the resumption of programs and operations on campus and communicating with other campus groups and leaders as we continue to develop additional plans for a phased resumption of research activities in Library buildings.
All Library spaces are currently closed to patrons except for the Regenstein lobby pickup area.
Current on-site services include:
- Paging & Pickup
- UChicago Card services
- Returning materials: Patrons permanently leaving the University may schedule an appointment for a 30-minute time slot to return Library materials.
- Extended Due Dates and Suspended Fines for Physical Materials
Ask a Librarian & Consultation
- Ask a Librarian for assistance via email and live-chat. View hours.
- Subject librarians are available for personalized, one-on-one assistance via email, phone, Zoom web conference, and more.
- Browse Help Guides by subject or type of source for 24-7 guidance in locating resources for your research or teaching.
Workshops & Instruction Sessions
- Schedule an instruction session for a class or small group.
- Workshops on library services for remote and hybrid instruction and other topics.
Access to E-Resources
- Scan & Deliver
- 5.4 million ebooks in our catalog
- Over 220,000 ejournals and newspaper titles
- Temporary free access to other e-resources
- 1372 databases covering a variety of subjects
- More than 11,000 streaming videos in our catalog. Learn more about finding online video.
- Digital collections, including from our Special Collections Research Center, featuring maps, images, rare books, and archival material.
- For guidance on accessing our online resources, go to the Proxy & Off-Campus Access page
- Looking for an ebook we don’t have? Suggest a Purchase
- Course reserves are online. Visit course reserves setup (for faculty) or course reserves (for students).