Library Programs for School Groups
As part of the Library’s efforts to prevent and slow the spread of COVID-19, the Library is temporarily suspending all group visits to the Library.
In support of our local community, the University of Chicago Library provides educational programs for the following schools:
- Hyde Park Academy
- Kenwood Academy
- Sonia Shankman Orthogenic School
- The University of Chicago Laboratory School (for individual student privileges, see Library Services for the Laboratory School)
- University of Chicago Woodlawn Charter School (UCW)
The Library also provides support for groups participating in University of Chicago outreach programs.
The Special Collections Research Center, located in Regenstein Library, is open to school groups from around the Chicago area who wish to use their unique collections for specific assignments.
Information for K-12 Teachers
Policies and Procedures for School Visits for Affiliated Public Schools
UChicago Woodlawn, Hyde Park Academy, and Kenwood Academy
For more information regarding our policies for school groups, please contact Rebecca Starkey
Suggestions for Teachers
The University of Chicago Library is an extremely large and complex academic library designed for advanced research. While the Library's large and diverse collections attract faculty and scholars from around the world, the size of our collections and nature of the materials often overwhelm and frustrate K-12 students. Field trips to conduct research for papers or assignments do not provide enough time for students to become orientated to our collections and successfully find sources for their topics.
The Chicago Public Library offers programs for school groups and has collections designed for audiences of all research levels. There are many advantages to using CPL's services:
- Books can be checked out by your students.
- Students can access collections anytime the library is open.
- CPL's online collections are available from any computer with a public library card number.
- CPL's youth services librarians have extensive experience working with K-12 students.
- Access is available to historical collections and archives Washington Library Center and CPL's two regional libraries, Woodson and Sulzer.