Copy Services for University of Chicago Users
As part of its services to researchers, the Special Collections Research Center provides research use copies from books, archives, and manuscripts in the collections. These copies are provided in accordance with the United States copyright law. Copying is limited to physically sound materials that are not subject to legal or donor restrictions. All requests for copies are subject to curatorial approval. Permission to consult archives and manuscripts or to obtain a copy of such material does not convey the right to use or publish the material in any manner. Such rights are secured only with the joint permission of the holder of copyright and the Library as owner of the material. Researchers must submit written requests for permission to reproduce or publish material from the Special Collections Research Center and any holders of copyright in the materials. Some publication projects may be subject to a use fee.
Please see our Permissions page for information on requesting permission to publish.
Self-Service Digital Photography: We allow non-flash, self-service digital photography in the reading room. Please see a Special Collections staff member before beginning your photography.
Placing an Order: The easiest and fastest way to obtain copies is to visit the Special Collections Research Center and place your request. If you are away from campus and unable to visit Special Collections, you may use our online form to request copies. Please note that all orders placed off-site are subject to a $10 service fee.
Reference Quality Scans
- Copy limit: 50 pages per archival box or bound volume or 150 pages per storage carton
- PDF scans in grayscale or color cost $.25 per page, regardless of size of original
- All PDF scans will be delivered via email with a link to the PDF
- Unless otherwise requested, PDF scans will be provided in grayscale at 300 dpi. If paper photocopies are requested, please contact the desk staff
Reference quality copy requests for in-person orders placed by researchers affiliated with the University of Chicago are typically completed within 24 hours.
Publication Quality Scans
Bound or Unbound, Grayscale and Color
- Copy limits: 50 pages per bound volume or archival box for grayscale; limit of 10 copies per bound volume for color
Copies of Existing High-Resolution Files
Requests placed by researchers affiliated with the University of Chicago receive priority processing. Requests placed by non-affiliated researchers can take 3 to 4 weeks.
File size prohibits us from emailing images to patrons. Digital orders are filled in 3 to 4 weeks. Digital images are sent as TIFF files with a resolution of 400-600 dpi for 8-bit grayscale and for 24-bit color. Digital file orders will be delivered electronically through a File Transfer Service. We are unable to provide custom and rush orders or prints made from scans.
- $10.00 service fee per order for requests placed remotely or by email
- $5.00 per foldout
- Unusually large or complex orders will be subject to an additional set-up fee to be billed at the rate of $20.00 per hour
- Minimum of $5.00 mailing fee
- Each subsequent 50 sheets, add $2.00 to the mailing fee
Please consult Special Collections staff for information about microfilms.
For further information on charges and schedules, contact us via our webform or by mail:
Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 E. 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637