Fall Quarter 2020 Reading Room Access
Special Collection Research Center (SCRC) reading room is open by appointment only to current University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff. Research appointments are two hour blocks. Materials will be paged and quarantined before each researcher visit.
Reservations must be made at least 5 days in advance.
**Materials must be requested by noon on the Monday before your appointment.**
In order to ensure equitable access, researchers are restricted to 1 research visit per week.
For the safety of our staff and researchers, no more than 3 researchers will be allowed in the reading room at a time, and researchers and staff will be required to wear masks/cloth face coverings at all times.
Hours of Operation (Beginning October 8, 2020)
How to Make an Appointment
To reserve a seat in the Special Collections reading room log into the SCRC Reservation System with your CNetID and password
Select your preferred date
You can request up to 15 books or standard archival boxes or 6 archival storage containers (from unprocessed collections)
What to Expect on the Day of Your Appointment
- Tap in at main Regenstein Library entrance gate with CNetID
- Proceed to Special Collections and wait at sign outside of entrance for a SCRC staff member to admit you
- Check in with Special Collections staff for introduction to SCRC, overview of reading room guidelines, and locker and seat number assignment
- Place all non-research related materials in assigned locker – Reading Room Guidelines
- Proceed to assigned table in reading room, requested materials will be on a library truck next to table
- Materials have not been disinfected but will have been quarantined - after you use hand sanitizer, please thoroughly dry your hands so damaging residue is not transferred to the materials
- Please observe social distancing in the reading room and disinfect work surfaces before and after your visit
- Once complete - return all materials to the library truck, sanitize the table, check out with SCRC staff, and retrieve items from locker
- Return to the main Regenstein Library gate and exit
Please Note the Following:
Do not come to the library if you have not had a confirmation email from SCRC staff.
Your CNetID will not work on the Library's main gate until 5 minutes before your appointment.
**If you have not requested your materials by noon on the Monday before your visit, your appointment will be cancelled.**
If you are not feeling well, please respect everyone’s safety and email the SCRC staff to cancel or reschedule your appointment.