University of Chicago Library
Guide to the C. Arnold Anderson Papers 1937-1990
© 2008 University of Chicago Library
Anderson, C. Arnold. Papers
2.5 linear feet (5 boxes)
Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.
C. Arnold Anderson (1907-1990), Professor of Education. The C. Arnold Anderson Papers consist of articles, notes, correspondence and manuscripts from 1937 to 1990.
Information on Use
The collection is open for research.
When quoting material from
this collection, the preferred citation is: Anderson, C. Arnold. Papers, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library
Charles Arnold Anderson was born on January 13, 1907 in Platte, South Dakota to Edward Thomas and Edith (Orvis). He received a B.A (1927), M.A. (1928) and a Ph.D (1932) from the University of Minnesota.
Anderson was on the faculty of the University of Minnesota in 1929. He was at Harvard University from 1930 to 1935, and again in 1943. From 1936 to 1943 Anderson was at Iowa State University, and moved to the University of Kentucky from 1945 to 1948. He worked on various U.S. Government assignments from 1944 to 1945. Anderson was a member of the faculty at the University of California, Berkeley from 1948 to 1949. From 1954 to 1955 Anderson was a visiting professor at the University of Lund (Sweden), and remained in Uppsala as a Fullbright scholar until 1956.
In 1958 Anderson came to the University of Chicago as a professor. He was the first director of the University's Comparative Education Center from 1958 to 1972.
Anderson was a consultant to UNESCO and to the Ford Foundation. He was a
visiting professor at the University of Stockholm in 1974 and the University of London in 1975.
Anderson has over 200 publications in journals of sociology, education, political science, and economics. He was the joint editor of Education, Economy, and Sociology in 1961 and Education and Economic Growth in 1965. Anderson served on the editorial board of the Comparative Education Review was the chief editor of the American Journal of Sociology from 1967 to 1973.
Anderson was the co-founder of the International Study of Educational Achievement (IEA) and was president of the Comparative and International Education Society from 1962 to 1963. He received an honorary doctorate from the University of Stockholm and was elected to the Swedish Royal Society. In 1986 he was inducted as one of the first Honorary Fellows of the Comparative and International Education Society.
Anderson married Dr. Mary Jean Bowman on July 18, 1942. They had one son, Lloyd Barr.
C. Arnold Anderson died on June 26, 1990 in Chicago.
The C. Arnold Anderson Papers consist of five boxes of chronologically arranged articles, notes, correspondence and manuscripts from 1937 to 1990.
The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:
University of Chicago. Department of Sociology. Faculty. Minutes
|Box 1 Folder 1|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1937-1955
- "Conservation of Our Human Resources," Iowa Farm Economist, 1937
- "Choosing a Job," Iowa Farm Economist, 1938
- "Our Present Knowledge of Assortative Mating," Rural Sociology, 1938
- "All in the Family," Iowa Farm Economist, 1939
- "The Iowa Community Faces War," with Bryce Ryan, n.d.
- "Finding the Successful F.S.A. Family," with James E. White, n.d.
- "Wartime Farm Survey," n.d.
- "Doctors to the Colors!" with Kaethe Mengelberg, n.d.
- "Rural Reading," with Neal C. Gross, n.d.
- "Let's Make Rationing Work!" n.d.
- "Pamphlets on Parade," with Bryce Ryan, n.d.
- "Community and Newspaper," Iowa State College, lecture notes, 1941
- "Came to the Iowa Community," with Bryce Ryan, 1942
- "Food Rationing and Morale," Wartime Farm and Food Policy, 1943
- "The Utilization of Human Resources," syllabus for seminar series at the University of California, Berkeley, mimeograph, 1949
- "Soviet Russia and the Nature of Society," The Southwestern Social Science Quarterly, 1952
- "Let's Quit Crying 'Wolf, Wolf,' or Must Kentucky's Future Always be in the Past?" Rotary Club of Lexington, lecture notes, 1953
- "Types of Economies" with M. J. Bowman, English mimeo version of "Wirtschaftstypen" published in Schmollers Jahrboch, 75:513-34, 1955
|Box 1 Folder 2|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1955
- "The American South: A Region in Transition," English translation of "Den Americanska Sodern: en Region uomvandling" from Svenska Geografiska Arsboch, pp. 199-226
- "Does the United States Have a Social Class System?" lecture in Paris, 1955
- "Den Amerikansa Södern - Er Region I Omvandling," 1955
- "Recent American Research on Social Stratification," for Third Working Conference on Social Mobility and Social Stratification, 1955
- Figures for "Inequality of Education in the South," American Journal of Sociology, 1955
- "The Role of the Textbook in the Teaching of Social Sciences in American Universities," English mimeo version of "Kursbokens Roll I den Socialvetenskapliga Undervisningen vid Amerikansa Universitet," published in Statsvetanskapliga Tidskrift, 1955
- "Critique of American Studies of Social Class," detailed lecture outline, 1955
- Discussion papers for seminars in Sweden: "The Limited Utility for Sociology of the Concepts of Social Class and Class Conflict," 1955
|Box 1 Folder 3|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1955-1956
- "What a Comparative Study of Societies Tells Us about Social Stratification," for the Higher Seminar on Social Stratification, 1955
- "Methodological Problems in the Study of Social Stratification," discussion paper 2 for the Higher Seminar on Social Stratification, 1955
- "Nicholasville: A Preliminary Survey," 1956
- "The Economy as the Dynamic Element in Contemporary Status Systems," Uppsala University, discussion paper #3, 1956
|Box 1 Folder 4|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1956-1959
- "Inequality Measurement, Income Distribution, and the Analysis of Status Structures" with M. J. Bowman, Uppsala University, discussion paper #4, 1956
- "Education and Social Stratification," Uppsala University, discussion paper #5, 1956
- "Nicholasville: A Preliminary Survey," University of Kentucky, processed, 1956
- "Caste and Class in Dynamic Social Structure of the American South," discussion paper, 1957
- "Employment, Occupation, and Socio-Economic Status of Swedish Wives in Relation to Occupation and Status of Husbands," Statistical Review, 1957
- "Education and Social Stratification," English translation of an article published in I Problemi del la Pedagogia, Rome, February 1958
- "A Critique of the UNESCO Statistical Program," 1959
- "The Social Composition of University Student Bodies," from Year Book of Education, 1959
- "Social Class as a Factor in the Assimilation of Women into Higher Education," Acta Sociologica, 1959
|Box 1 Folder 5|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1960-1961
- Notes on Soviet Education, 1959
- "The Impact of the Educational System on Technological Problems and Modernization. Memorandum in response to the North American Conference on the Social Implications of Industrialization and Technological Change," UNESCO document SS/NAC/1960/17, bound with 120 pages of excerpts concerning Human Resource Development and Economic Development covering 9 topics, compiled by C. A. Anderson and M. J. Bowman, 1960
- Notes on Soviet Education, 1960
- "World Patterns of Education," Comparative Education Review, 1960
- "The Novel as a Social Document," 1961
- "Human Resource Development as a Focal Problem in Foreign-aid Policies and Programs" with M. J. Bowman, memorandum for UNESCO or U.S. Aid, 1961
- "Research Institutes as Aid Strategy" with M. J. Bowman, memorandum for UNESCO or U.S. Aid, 1961
- "Human Resource Development and Economic Development," with Mary Jean Bowman, 1961
|Box 1 Folder 6|
- "Dilemmas of Talent-Centred Educational Programmes: U.S.A.," The Year Book of Education, 1962
- "Education and Political Development: reactions to a conference," 1962
- "Equity, Efficiency, and Educational Opportunity in Relation to Economic Development," 1963
- "Fugitive Notes Relevant to the Conference," Conference on Education and Economic Development, 1963
|Box 2 Folder 1|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1963-1964
- "Economic Development and Post-primary Education," 1963
- "Fugitive Comments on Power," 1964
- "Improving Human Resources," 1964
- "Education as an Independent Variable," Russell Sage Conference, 1964
- "Internal Planning of Education," Bellagio conference, 1964
- "Major Research Needs in Education Planning," Bellagio conference, 1964
- "Sociological and Educational Constraints Upon International Understanding," The Year Book of Education, 1964
- "Discrimination and Inequality in Education," Sociology of Education, 1964
|Box 2 Folder 2|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1965
- "Education and the Transition from Subsistence to Monetary Production," 1965
- ""Dilemma's Arising from the Linking of Educational to Economic Planning," 1965
- "Patterns and Variability in the Distribution and Diffusion of Schooling," 1965
- "Literacy and Schooling on The Development Threshold: Some Historical Cases," 1965
|Box 2 Folder 3|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1966
- Memo to members of U.S. House Committee on Education in response to questions re international education programs," 1966
- "Technical and Vocational Education in the New Nations," 1966
- "An Elementary Ethnography of Formal Education" lecture for Graduate School of Education series, 1966
- "Educational Institutions and Socio-economic Change" with M. J. Bowman, prepared for a seminar on Adapting Institutions to Conditions of Economic Growth: Montana State University, August 2-5, 1966
- "Proposed Programs in International Studies Embracing the Study of Education Under the International Education Act of 1966," report prepared for the Committee on Education and Labor of the Congress of the United States, September 1966
- "Communications - Berichte - Communications," International Review of Education, 1966
- Folder 4: Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1967-1968
- "The Social Context of Educational Planning," Unesco International Institute for Educational Planning, 1967
- "Southern Education: A New Research Frontier," Perspectives on the South: Agenda for Research, 1967
- "The Reflection of Societal Characteristics Within the School: Inferences From the International Study of Educational Achievement," working paper #5 for the Cross-national Conference at Lake Mohonk, N.Y., 1967
- "Education in Kenya, 1961-1967," prepared for World Bank
- "Comments on the Design of Training for Educational Planning," prepared for the International Conference on Educational Planning, UNESCO, Paris, August 8-14, 1968
- "University Planning in an Underdeveloped Country: A Commentary on the University of East Africa Plan, 1967-1970," Minerva, 1968
|Box 2 Folder 5|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1968-1969
- "Commentary on the Conception of Planning Embodied in Educational Planning: A Survey of Problems and Projects," 1968
- Review of Universities: British, Indian, African by Eric Ashby, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 1968
- "Human Capital and Economic Modernization in Historical Perspective," Fourth International Conference of Economic History, 1968
- "Challenges and Pitfalls in International Education," Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education, 1969
- "Middle Africa in the 1980's" with Philip Foster, part of a symposium on "Africa in the 1980's" by the Adlai Stevenson Institute of International Affairs, April 14-18, 1969
|Box 2 Folder 6|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1969-1971
- "Culture Borrowing and the Changing European Schools," Kent State University Conference, August 1969
- "The Sorcerer's Apprentice: Education in Developing Nations," Comparative Education, 1969
- "Education and Society," prepared for International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences
- "Fugitive Additional Notes on Education," Ford Foundation Asia meeting, Singapore, October 1970
- "Conceptual Framework for Civic Education in Developing Societies," Seminar on Civic Education and Development, Tufts University, 1970
- "Fugitive Thoughts on Sociological Theory and Research in Education," prepared for research workshop sponsored by the National Research Council, 1971
|Box 3 Folder 1|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1971
- "Salient Themes in Theory and Research on the Sociology of Education," prepared for research workshop sponsored by the National Research Council, 1971
- "Nonformal Education: A Critique of Fostering and Inhibiting Factors," prepared for the Asia Society Conference at the National Academy of Sciences, May 13-15, 1971
- "Fugitive Thoughts on Sociological Theory and Research in Education," prepared for the Research Workshop sponsored by the Committee on Basic Research in Education of the Division of Behavioral Sciences, National Research Council, May 2-7, 1971
- "Social Selection in Education and Economic Development," n.d.
- "Three Methodological Challenges for New Approaches in Comparative Education," 1971
- "Reflections Upon the Planning of 'Out-of-School' Education," Seminar for Unesco Experts, 1971
- "Problems of Integrating Forman and Non-Formal Education," 1971
|Box 3 Folder 2|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1972
- "Education and Social Change," School Review, 1972
- "Effective Education for Agriculture," 1972
- Comments at Wood Hole, 1972
- "Plural Societies and the Mosiac of Education," 1972
- "Fostering Educational Research in the Third World," prepared for the Ford "Reflections on Planning Out-of-School Education," International Institute of Educational Planning, 1972
- "Post-Secondary Education Development Study," 1972
|Box 3 Folder 3|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1972-1975
- 1972 exchanges on report to NIE re: "Sociology and the Study of Education," following July 30-31, 1971, conference of group of sociologists
- C. A. Anderson letter to Burton Clark with what he (CAA) labeled "harsh" criticisms of first version of written report from sociologists to NIE, March 2, 1971
- Bidwell letter supporting Anderson's criticisms, March 10, 1971
- Anderson, "Tentative Notes for Draft of Sociology Memo to NIE," March 16, 1971
- Anderson memo on the sociology of education for education versus for sociology, May 2, 1971
- Anderson draft of a report, May 21, 1971
- "Potentialities for Popular Participation in Planning," prepared for Programme of Country Educational Planning Meeting, 1972
- "The Spectrum of Social Status Selection Across and Entire School System: Serbia, 1884/85," 1972
- "Obstacles to the Formulation of Effective New Policies for Higher Education," 1972
- "Interdisciplinary Research on Outcomes of Higher Education," 1972
- "Organizing Indian Educational Statistics for Action," Economic and Political Weekly, 1972
- Remarks for San Antonio meeting of CIES, 1973
- "Potentialities for Popular Participating in Planning," 1973
- "Successes and Frustration in the Sociological Study of Education," Social Science Quarterly, 1
- "Additional comments for meeting," relating to papers on non-formal education, civic education, and supplement, typescript, February 12, 1974
- "Designing Cross-Cultural Indicators of Education," American Sociological Association, Sociology of Education division, 1975
|Box 3 Folder 4|
Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1975-1977
- "Designing Cross-Cultural Indicators of Education," American Sociological Association, 1975
- "Equality of Opportunity in a Pluralistic Society: A Theoretical Framework," International Review of Education, 1975
- "Expanding Educational Opportunities: Conceptualization and Measurement," Higher Education, 1975
- "Futurologists Are More Cloudy Than the Future," 1975
- "Development Through Education Seen Dimly," Conference at University of London, Educational Development Center, 1975
- "Contrasting Sociological Approaches to Education," 1976
- "Social and Educational Indicators," prepared for the May 12th Group, October 1976
- "Contrasting Sociological Approaches to Education," Fundacao Carlos Chagas, Departamento de Pesquisas Educacionis, 1976
- "What is Wrong with Trying to Program `Skills' Packages for Career Education?" 1977
- Folder 5: Reprints, Manuscripts, and Notes, 1977-1979
- "Travel Notes on China Just Before and After the Eleventh Congress," 1977
- "Memorandum re. Education: Greece," May 30, 1977
- Schools and Society in England, with Miriam Schnaper, n.d.
- "Comparative Education Over a Quarter Century: Maturity and Challenges," Comparative Education Review, 1977
- "Discrepant Time Horizons, Non-Congruent Calendars, and Dilemmas in Directed Social Change," Social Science Quarterly, 1978
- "Why is Elementary Education Unduly Neglected?" 1978
- "Societal Characteristics within the School" Inferences from the International Study of Educational Achievement," Comparative Education Review, 1979
- Memorandum, to Elinor Barber and Warren Ilchman, from Arnold Anderson, June 30, 1979
- Folder 6: Manuscripts, 1983
- "Social Selection in Education and Economic Development," prepared for the Education Department of the World Bank, 1983
|Box 4 Folder 1|
- "Social Selection in Education and Economic Development," prepared for the Education Department of the World Bank, 1983
|Box 4 Folder 2|
Reprints and Manuscripts, n.d.
- "The Reflection of Societal Characteristics within the School"
- "Social Class and Education: Comparative Studies"
- Review essay
- "Research Themes on the Sociology of Education in United States," Abstract
- "Inequalities in Schooling in the South"
- "Notes on Soviet Education"
- "Education and Social Stratification"
- "The Economy as the Dynamic Element in Contemporary Status Systems"
- "Fugitive Notes on the Influence of Education upon Social Mobility"
- "Fugitive Notes on Power"
- "Methodological Problems in the Study of Social Stratification"
- "Commentary on IIEP Full Set of Case Studies on Cost Analysis"
|Box 4 Folder 3|
- "Synthetical report based on three studies on problems faced by education in a phase of transition from subsistence to case economies"
- "Fostering Educational Research in the Third World"
- "Education and the Transition from Subsistence to Cash Economies"
|Box 4 Folder 4|
Reprints and Manuscripts, n.d.
- "Social Status as a Factor in the Recruitment of Medical Students and Physicians"
- Review essay
- "Theory and Ideology in Comparative Education"
- "Caste and Class in the Dynamic Social Structure of the American South"
- "A Critique of the UNESCO Statistical Program"
- "Problems of Integrating Formal and Non-Formal Education"
- "The Social Composition of University Student Bodies"
- "Incompatible Expectations of Developing Countries"
- "Comparative Education: Area Studies"
|Box 5 Folder 1|
Reprints and Manuscripts, 1983
- "Comparative Education Center, University of Chicago"
- "Comments on Table 2"
- "Research Theme on the Sociology of Education in United States"
- "Some Explorations into Swedish Educational Statistics"
- "Regional and Racial Differences in Relations Between Income and Education"
- "Social Selection in Education and Economic Development"
- "Discrepant Time Horizons, Non-Congruent Calendars, and Dilemmas in Directed Social Change"
- "Knowledge is the Most Expensive Commodity in the World"
- "The Limited Utility for Sociology of the Concepts of Social Class and Class Conflict"
- "People are as Important as Pigs"
- "The Higher Seminar on Social Stratification"
- "Improving Human Resources"
- "The Reflection of Societal Characteristics within the School: Inferences from the International Study of Educational Achievement"
- "Strategies for Unsubsidized Research in Sociology"
|Box 5 Folder 2|
Conference and Meeting Notes, 1941-1972
- Notes for talk at Iowa State College, 1941
- North American Conference on the Social Implications of Industrialization and Social Change, 1960
- "Education and Political Development: Reactions to a Conference," 1962
- Outline for talk at Foreign Service Institute, 1963
- Outline for talk at Unesco conference, 1963
- Russell Sage Conference, 1964
- Comments on Education and Political Development Seminar
- Comments on Economic Development Institute Education Programs and Projects Course, 1970
- Notes for Ford Foundation Asia meeting about education, 1970
- Notes for Committee on Basic Research in Education workshop, 1971
- Comments for Woods Hole Conference of the Panel on the Benefits of Higher Education, 1972
- Remarks for San Antonio meetings of CIES, 1973
- Additional comments relating to papers on non-formal education, civic education, and supplement, 1974
- Notes for seminar talk, n.d.
|Box 5 Folder 3|
- Andy Rosenbaum, 1941
- Philip Coombs, 1963
- Syracuse School of Education, 1965
- A.T. Mosher, 1965
- T.W. Schultz, 1965
- RAC/AID Members, 1969
- IIEP Conference Members, 1971
- Burton Clark, 1972
- Torsten Husen, 1974
- Arie van der Ploeg, 1974
- Lois-ellin Datta, 1977
- Hank Levin, 1979
- Jeffrey Puryear, 1982
- Steven P. Heyneman, 1982
- Philip G. Altbach, 1986
|Box 5 Folder 4|
Notes for Courses
- Culture integration
- Social stratification and social mobility
- Changing centers and the lines of social control
- Communication and ecological and social structures
- How culture changes
- Sacred vs. secular societies
- Man the culture builder
- Lecture I
- Why we have social institutions
- Social classes in the United States
- The present situation of the American Negro
- Proposed topics for lectures and seminars in the U.K.
- Adapting curriculum of LDC primary schools to foster social change
- Course outline: Education and Development
- Social stratification and mobility
- The growing impersonalization of social relationships
- The changing equilibrium of among groups
- Education and social stratification
- Education and political development
- Notes for new nations talk
- Education and political development
|Box 5 Folder 5|
Miscellaneous notes and outlines, n.d.
- "Reflections upon the planning of 'out of school' education," International Institute of Educational Planning, Paris
- "Critique of American Studies of Social Class"
- "Is Social Class a Useful Concept?"
- "Common problems of universities"
- Notes on Kenya
- "Education and Human Resource Development"
- "Proposed expansion of CAA's revised outline on 'curriculum'"
- "Revised outline on 'curriculum'"
- "Education Sector Papers of World Bank: 1971 and 1974 versions"
- "Sociology of Education"
- "Fads and Fancies in Prescriptions for Schooling in the Third World"
- "Index for Education and Development"
|Box 5 Folder 6|
Lists of publications
|Box 5 Folder 7|
- Miscellaneous tables, notes, statistics
- "The cock in the catechism - ABC books and others"
|Box 5 Folder 8|
Reprints and drafts with others, 1967-1980, n.d.
- "The Adaptation of Education to a Mobile Society," with Charles B. Nam and Robinson Hollister, 1967
- "A Comparison of Book Reviewing by the AJS and the ASR," with Thomas W. Pullman, 1970
- "The Application of Knowledge in Comparative and International Education," Kent Conference on Comparative and International Education, 1980
- "The Curriculum as an Instrument," with Suellen Fisher, n.d.
- "Education and Social Change in the New Nations: Some Grand Theories Reassessed," with Philip Foster, n.d.
- "Social Selectivity in University Attendance," with Leila Calhoun, n.d.
|Box 5 Folder 9|
Bits of the Lives of Students and Close Associates of C. Arnold Anderson, Along with Some Reminisciences, 1990