PDF | XML

University of Chicago Library

Guide to the University of Chicago Religion on Campus Collection 1893-1994

© 2020 University of Chicago Library

Descriptive Summary

Title:

University of Chicago. Religion on Campus. Collection

Dates:

1893-1994

Size:

1.5 linear feet (2 boxes)

Repository:

Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.

Abstract:

This collection contains newspaper clippings, program flyers, religious service, prayer schedule, and religious program pamphlets, and informational booklets pertaining to various religious organizations at the University of Chicago. The religious organizations represented in this collection are the Board of Social Service and Religion, Calvert Club, Canterbury Club, Christian Union, Episcopal Church Council, Hillel Foundation, Interchurch Council, Lutheran Council, Pastors’ Institute, and Porter Foundation.

Information on Use

Access

The collection is open for research.

Citation

When quoting material from this collection, the preferred citation is: University of Chicago. Religion on Campus. Collection, [Box #, Folder #], Special Collections Research Center, University of Chicago Library

Historical Note

This collection documents religious organizations and activities at the University of Chicago.

The Board of Social Service and Religion was formed in 1927 to organize religious activity on campus and within the community. The board consisted of faculty and students and was in charge of the administration of chapel services.

The Canterbury Club is the Episcopal organization of the University and remains an active student organization as of 2019. The club was originally led by Canon Bernard Iddings Bell from 1946 to 1954 and then Rev. William H. Baar in 1955. As Rev. Baar was director of the building, Brent House was chosen as the University Center for Episcopalians.

The Christian Union was a semi-official religious organization of students and faculty at the University. The Union organized Christian sermons and vesper services in the 1890s.

The Hillel Foundation was founded in 1940 by Maurice Pekarsky and remains active as of 2019. The foundation organizes and funds Jewish community activities, religious services, various public lectures and seminars. In 1943, the Raymond Karasik House was donated to the Foundation and became the center of the Hillel Program. The Karasik House was renamed the Johanna and Herman H. Newberger Hillel Center in 1989.

The Interchurch Council and Committee was an interfaith religious group on campus. Religious activities of various denominational groups were organized by the Interchurch Council of the University.

The Lutheran Council was an organization of Lutheran students and faculty at the University.

The Pastors’ Institute was founded in 1931 by the Divinity School of the University and organized annual seminars, classes, and discussion groups.

The Porter Foundation was an organization of several Presbyterian denominations that sponsored student fellowships and organized public lectures, a student published newsletter, the Porter Views, and volunteer services. The foundation was named after Jeremiah Porter, who in 1833 founded the First Presbyterian Church in Chicago.

Before the formation of the Calvert Club, the Catholic Club was formed in 1902 and reorganized in 1904 as the Brownson Club. In 1924, the Calvert Club was formed, but was not officially recognized until 1941, when Father Joseph D. Connerton was appointed as a permanent chaplain. The building that is now the Calvert House was built in 1902 and in 1924 it was chosen to be the Catholic Center at the University.

Scope Note

This collection contains newspaper clippings, program flyers, religious service, prayer schedule, and religious program pamphlets, and informational booklets pertaining to religious organizations and activities at the University of Chicago. The religious organizations represented in this collection are the Board of Social Service and Religion, the Calvert Club, the Canterbury Club, the Christian Union, the Episcopal Church Council, the Hillel Foundation, the Interchurch Council, the Lutheran Council, the Pastors’ Institute, and the Porter Foundation. A more detailed series description can be found the series description section.

Related Resources

The following related resources are located in the Department of Special Collections:

Browse finding aids by topic.

https://munuc.org/Hyde Park and Kenwood Interfaith Council. Records

University of Chicago Office of Student Activities. Records

Subject Headings

INVENTORY

Box 1    Folder 1

Board of Social Service and Religion, 1927

Box 1    Folder 2

Calvert Club, 1956-1987

Box 1    Folder 3

Canterbury Club, 1945-1955

Box 1    Folder 4

Christian Union, 1893-1898

Box 1    Folder 5

Hillel Foundation, 1946-1994

Box 1    Folder 6

Interchurch Council and Committee, 1950-1951

Box 1    Folder 7

Lutheran Council, 1949-1963

Box 1    Folder 8

Pastors’ Institute, 1945-1946

Box 1    Folder 9

Porter Foundation, 1953-1958

Box 1    Folder 10

Brent House, 1972-1994

Box 1    Folder 11

Chapel House, undated

Box 1    Folder 12

Mandell Hall, 1903-1923

Box 1    Folder 13

Religious Life, 1893-1965

Box 2   Folder 1

Chapel House, 1945

Box 2   Folder 2

Religious Life, 1898-1905