Library Mission, Vision and Values
Library Mission Statement
Crescat scientia, vita excolatur
Let knowledge grow from more to more; and so be human life
The Library's mission is to provide comprehensive resources and
services in support of the research, teaching, and learning needs
of the University community. To fulfill this mission, the Library
- Understand the research, teaching, and learning needs of its
- Build collections and create tools to support research,
teaching, and learning;
- Provide access to and promote the discovery and use of local
and external information resources;
- Ensure the preservation and long-lasting availability of
Library collections and resources;
- Create hospitable physical and virtual environments for study,
teaching, and research;
- Collaborate with other members of the University to enrich the
research and learning community;
- Advance local, national, and international library and
- Develop, encourage, and sustain expertise, skill, commitment
and an innovative spirit in its staff.
As a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the University of
Chicago Library shares with the University the aspiration to be the
most dynamic learning environment in the world.
In this desired future, the Library ensures that its collections
remain forward-looking, diverse in breadth and form, open to
browsing, and of world-renowned quality. Through promotion, the
Library makes people aware of the resources available to them, and
through innovation, it makes access to these resources easier. The
Library’s creation of an integrated, seamless web of
information further streamlines access. To serve future users, the
Library preserves information across all formats and ensures
effective storage and delivery systems. The Library’s
physical and virtual spaces respond to the changing habits of its
users to enrich the campus experience and to multiply the ways in
which people can pursue inquiry. The Library’s collaboration
with expanding circles of partners yields unified access,
broadening knowledge, and enhanced services.
The Library continues to embrace change and align itself to
thrive on diversity, to support professional growth and
opportunity, and to reward flexibility and innovation.
March 12, 2004
In all of our interactions, we are guided by these values:
- We encourage the process of learning and the life of the
- We celebrate truth seeking through discourse and
- We anticipate and contribute to scholarly inquiry.
- We promote the Library as both a real and virtual extended
- We embrace our role as collectors and custodians of the
- We offer an environment that supports creativity, flexibility,
- We believe that each user of the Library is unique and
- We evolve to meet the changing needs of the Library and its
- We maintain a comfortable, welcoming and secure place for
study, research, work, reflection and interaction.
- We commit ourselves to excellence.
- We seek out the best people and resources to accomplish our
- We support individual growth and organizational
- We work diligently to exceed the expectations of those we
- We relate to each other with honesty and candor.
- We adhere to the principles of fairness, justice and equality
in our work.
- We promote the highest standards of our profession, including
open and equitable access to information.
- We demonstrate a strong work ethic, taking responsibility for
our actions, keeping our word, and following through on our
- We treat everyone with equal consideration and courtesy.
- We encourage differences in perspective, opinions and
- We consider the needs of others.
- We provide an environment that is inclusive and diverse.
- We engage in open and honest communication at all levels.
- We recognize the importance of Library-wide participation.
- We reach out to all segments of our user communities.
- We share information and solicit opinions about decisions that
affect the success of the Library.
March 2, 2004