University of Chicago Catalogs
Guide to reading call numbers
- Library Catalog
- Find items in all campus libraries, including books, periodicals, sound recordings, videos, DVDs and more.
- Lens presents a new way to search the Library Catalog and beyond. It offers ranking by relevance and limiting by topic, language, format and more. It also automatically searches for spelling variations and related terminology. Read the Lens FAQ for more information.
- Library Catalog Beta
- Connecting to the Library Catalog via Z39.50 Clients
Other Important Catalogs
- Borrow Direct
- Borrow Direct allows searching and requesting of books from the libraries of the Ivy League universities, MIT, and the Center for Research Libraries. Books typically arrive in 4-5 days.
- UBorrow allows searching and requesting of books from the libraries of the Big Ten Conference universities. Books typically arrive in 4-5 days.
- WorldCat includes the holdings for more than 45,000 academic, public, special and national libraries from 84 countries. Displays which local libraries own items. Use to initiate your ILL request for materials not owned by the U of C.
- Free access to the WorldCat database. This version presents information in a slightly different way and does not offer FindIt links for off-campus users.
- Center for Research Libraries (CRL)
- CRL is a consortium of North American academic and independent research libraries. Its shared collections include newspapers (foreign, domestic, and specialized), foreign doctoral dissertations, and other traditional materials. Use Interlibrary Loan to request materials from CRL. CRL is located on the south side of the U of C campus.
- NUCat -- Northwestern University Libraries
- U of C faculty, staff, and students may borrow directly from NWU library via a reciprocal borrowing agreement or use Interlibrary Loan to request books not owned by the U of C.
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- U of C faculty, staff, and students may use Interlibrary Loan to request books not owned by the U of C. U of C faculty may borrow directly from UIC via a reciprocal borrowing agreement.
- Provides information about the collections of many Illinois academic and research libraries. Participating libraries are collectively referred to as the I-Share libraries. Currently, there are 71 I-Share libraries and more than 30 million library items represented in the I-Share catalog. The UofC does not participate in I-Share but items in these libraries may be requested through Interlibrary Loan
- Google Book Search
- Google Books provides the complete full-text of thousands of books out of copyright and snippets (or selections) of newer books.
Lens includes links to Google books where available.
Hyde Park Area Libraries
National Library Catalogs
Chicago Area Libraries
Catalogs of Archival Collections
Locate other library catalogs at LibDex
For information about borrowing material not owned by the Library, please consult Interlibrary Loan.
For information about access to other libraries, please see our Reciprocal Access page.