About the John Crerar Library
The John Crerar Library is home to more than 1.4 million volumes in the biological, medical and physical sciences as well as collections in general science and the philosophy and history of science, medicine, and technology. Opened in 1984, the library resulted from the merger of the John Crerar Library, a library established in Chicago in 1894 with the University of Chicago. The mission of the John Crerar Library is to serve the educational and research aims of the University of Chicago while continuing to honor the spirit of John Crerar by welcoming visitors to use the research collections at the library. Please contact Crerar Reference Services at 773-702-7715 for more information.
- General Building Information, Maps and Directions
- History and Facts
- Special collections
- Andrews, Clement Walker. The John Crerar Library : A Free Public Reference Library of Scientific Literature. 1894-1905. (Reprint from Libraries of Chicago) Chicago, 1905.
- Bay, J. Christian. The John Crerar Library, 1895-1944: An Historical Report Prepared under the Authority of the Board of Directors by the Librarian. Chicago: John Crerar Library, 1945.
- Great Is the Gift that Bringeth Knowledge: Highlights from the History of the John Crerar Library. (Exhibition catalogue) Chicago: John Crerar Foundation; University of Chicago Library, 1989.
- Swanson P. A. (1986) "The John Crerar Library of the University of Chicago." Science & Technology Libraries 7, 31-43.
- Carnahan, Paul A. A Guide to the Historical Records of the John Crerar Library, 1828–1984. Edited by Richard L. Popp. 1991.
- John Crerar Foundation. The John Crerar Library. 1984.
- (1985). "John Crerar/Univ.of Chicago in historic merger." Library Journal 110, 22.
- Swanson PA. "The politics of library buildings: a case study of the John Crerar Library." IATUL Quarterly 1990;4:115-121.
- About the University of Chicago Library